I need help

Siljohn50

I just need to know how to solve this one to teach my kid the rest.

Attachments

• 0EFEFC9A-48EB-4928-B66E-868FCBDE88A0.jpeg
    0EFEFC9A-48EB-4928-B66E-868FCBDE88A0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
The question is not clear, at least to me. Can you post more info? What is the topic? Were there examples provided? What are the empty and filled in squares? 1, -1???

The question is not clear, at least to me. Can you post more info? What is the topic? Were there examples provided? What are the empty and filled in squares? 1, -1???
That is all the information that I have it is a question thrown into a practice sheet. Question 2.

Attachments

• 47C3EFCD-212E-4FE5-9497-26523A556550.jpeg
    47C3EFCD-212E-4FE5-9497-26523A556550.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
I just need to know how to solve this one to teach my kid the rest.
I think this represents "integer tiles" (or possibly "algebra tiles"), which are used to introduce signed numbers. Search for "multiplication with integer tiles"; here is one example I found: http://www.ramymelhem.com/uploads/3/4/4/1/34417566/multiplying_dividing_using_tiles.pdf

The shading in the image is uneven, but I think it represents 2 (on the left) times -4 (on the top) = -8 (in the body of the table). Or they might call it -4 times 2.

Yes the filled in squares are -1 per the key they provided the not filled in are 1 per the key, yes they were already filled in.
Thanks!

Yes the filled in squares are -1 per the key they provided the not filled in are 1 per the key, yes they were already filled in.
Thanks!
So, all four at the top, and all eight in the middle, were shaded as printed? Why do they look scribbled on and uneven?

In any case, see my answer #4.

And does "your kid" have anything to say about it? Presumably something has been taught, and there should be something in print (or online) about it, maybe even examples.

she mention that they have done a few but she is still unclear about it!
Thanks for all the help!