I need to vent

Harry_the_cat

Elite Member
Does anyone else get annoyed when you spend time trying to help someone help themselves, you continue a dialogue and suddenly they stop responding and give no thanks? I think some people who ask for help forget that at the other end there is a real live actual person (cat?) generously giving their time to help a stranger. We all like to feel appreciated.
I have started up my own blacklist of people I've helped who have not offered thanks or any sign of appreciation. I vow never to interact with them again.
Rant over!!
1643716102881.png

Last edited:
Does anyone else get annoyed when you spend time trying to help someone help themselves, you continue a dialogue and suddenly they stop responding and give no thanks? I think some people who ask for help forget that at the other end there is a real live actual person generously giving their time to help a stranger. We all like to feel appreciated.
I have started up my own blacklist of people I've helped who have not offered thanks or any sign of appreciation. I vow never to interact with them again.
Rant over!!
View attachment 30957
I help in 2 Facebook groups. You won't believe some of the replies I get (accusing me is wasting people's time, etc) because I give hints and not solutions.

I help in 2 Facebook groups. You won't believe some of the replies I get (accusing me is wasting people's time, etc) because I give hints and not solutions.
I help in 2 also. And yes I do believe it as I've got replies like that myself. Simple manners, that's all that's needed.

EDIT: I do find it annoying when someone disappears without saying thx (but I do try to think that they must have found the answer due to my help, which is satisfying)

I think that the helpers here are absolutely fantastic altruistic people (even when we occasionally make mistakes :ROFLMAO:).

I enjoyed reading the recent @Harry_the_cat thread about induction, because I didn't know how to solve that myself. (I do intend to do the working out on that question myself at some point.)

We're all probably learning from each other without explicitly saying so. Therefore let me be explicit, thank you to all the helpers and administrators here (and to all the students, although I do keep my own blacklist :) )

Last edited:
Does anyone else get annoyed when you spend time trying to help someone help themselves, you continue a dialogue and suddenly they stop responding and give no thanks? I think some people who ask for help forget that at the other end there is a real live actual person (cat?) generously giving their time to help a stranger. We all like to feel appreciated.
Rant over!!
View attachment 30957
I can live without thank you notes, but do get a lot of satisfactions hearing "I get it now!" or "I cannot believe it is that simple.".

I like the idea of black lists. Maybe even several lists, black and white:

1. People who respond with thank you notes for helping them to understand.
  2. People who end up getting better understanding and let us know about it.
  3. People who disappear without any feedback.
  4. People who tell us that we are not teaching them correctly (one of my kids used to have this habit)
  5. People who get angry and accuse helpers of various sins.

It would be nice to share such lists, but I am not sure whether it would work to keep them completely open to everybody. I.e., do we want someone know that they are blacklisted?

For now I think I'll start like'ing thank you notes and feedbacks -- the only way to grade "helpees" behaviour known to me.

I always thank helpers for their time on this forum whenever they respond to my post or if I ask a question within a post.
I agree that students should express their satisfaction with the (quality) service they receive from this forum.
I do get upset when a student insists on just receiving an answer without showing any work.

Rant over!!
View attachment 30957
I request that we consider cultural differences among our students. I come from a culture where explicitly saying thanks would be actually insensitive. When I am thankful, you will know it from looking into my eyes (one of the shortcomings of online communication - no eye-contact)

I request that we consider cultural differences among our students. I come from a culture where explicitly saying thanks would be actually insensitive. When I am thankful, you will know it from looking into my eyes (one of the shortcomings of online communication - no eye-contact)
I am very conscious of respecting cultural differences. I would not have thought that saying thankyou was offensive in any culture. I am surprised that that is the case. Do you mean it is insensitive to the helper or the helpee? What about even just pressing the "like" button?

Interesting. As for eye contact, is not it what emoji is for (post #9) ? I still think that giving some feedback is very important, "now I understand" being my favorite.

Interesting. As for eye contact, is not it what emoji is for (post #9) ? I still think that giving some feedback is very important, "now I understand" being my favorite.
and that is my favorite one too - along with "A-r-r-g-h that was so dumb"......