I really don't understand this paper about the Greatest common divisor (GCD) and the Euclidean algorithm.

Mani_Big_Badam

Hi, everybody, I'm an Student from Germany and i recently got this Paper from my Teacher and i need to make an presentation about the GCD but i don't understand this so i would be really glad if someone would help me. Sorry if the English is bad i tried my best to translate the paper in german and don't worry if there is written ggT instead of GCD, that's because in German the GCD is named ggT, so the GCD and ggt is the same thing.

Attachments

• AB 1.1_ggT Aussage_2.png
    AB 1.1_ggT Aussage_2.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi, everybody, I'm an Student from Germany and i recently got this Paper from my Teacher and i need to make an presentation about the GCD but i don't understand this so i would be really glad if someone would help me. Sorry if the English is bad i tried my best to translate the paper in german and don't worry if there is written ggT instead of GCD, that's because in German the GCD is named ggT, so the GCD and ggt is the same thing.
It would help if you would tell us what you do understand, so we could have some idea where to start.

Also, a little more translation could help; I think that
  • "z.z." may mean something like "to be shown" (do you see why this statement is equivalent to what you are asked to prove?),
  • "1. etappe" means "first stage (or step?)", and
  • "hilfssätze" means something like "lemmas" (literally "auxiliary sentences", according to Google) -- facts you can assume to be true, and use in your proof.
What I'm not at all sure of is whether you are supposed to draw lines between statements you use in your proof, or just write a proof using them, or what. The whole thing is a little foreign to me, not just the words.

Last edited: