I was wondering could I get some help please

Chrysostomos

I hope this question is in the correct section. There's this problem I'm looking at in Applied Maths (Traditionally I've been really bad at maths, I have neglected it for a long time)

On one line it says

1/2 (5v/6) v = 375

The next line it becomes

5/12v^2 = 375

I've just no idea what happened at all, really. I've tried to look this up online but I guess it's just a very specific example, I went over to https://www.mathway.com/ and that did not help.

My guess is that everything on the left side of the equation gets multiplied by 2, so as to remove the half, increase the 5v/6 to 5/12 and then v becomes v^2.

Actually that makes no sense.

Help ? Thanks in advance.

Actually, I'm teaching myself maths atm I guess (If I could be as bold to call it that) I was wondering what members think of Khan Academy's Algebra videos ? I'm thinking of doing them.

On one line it says

1/2 (5v/6) v = 375

The next line it becomes

5/12v^2 = 375

I've just no idea what happened at all, really.
I will guess that your ambiguous formatting actually means the following two equations:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2}\left(\dfrac{5v}{6}\right)v\, =\, 375\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{5}{12}v^2\, =\, 375\)

What did you get when you multiplied the 1/2 and the 5/6? What did you get when you multiplied the v and the other v? Have you worked with exponents at all? ;)

I will guess that your ambiguous formatting actually means the following two equations:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2}\left(\dfrac{5v}{6}\right)v\, =\, 375\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{5}{12}v^2\, =\, 375\)

What did you get when you multiplied the 1/2 and the 5/6? What did you get when you multiplied the v and the other v? Have you worked with exponents at all? ;)

Apologies about the formatting. It did indeed mean that.

so multiplying the 1/2 and the 5v/6 equals 5v/12 ?

And then 5v/12 multiplied by v equals 5/12 v^2 ?

Is that correct ?

Have I worked with exponents ? Not really. Is there any books or resources you could recommend ?

Thanks for the help , I really appreciate it.

Have I worked with exponents ? Not really. Is there any books or resources you could recommend ?
There are loads of lessons online. Try here to refresh on fractions, here to learn about exponents, and here to learn how to simplify expressions containing exponents. ;)