Identifying distribution for type of data

Little_Louis

I sat an online test at work, and there were a few questions I couldn't answer. Here is one of them...

Question: Leaks in an underground water pipe are known to occur randomly over its 10km length. Which of the following is the distribution of the distance of a newly discovered leak from the start of the water pipe?

Choose one of the following options (my comments are in bold):
  1. Continuous uniform - random outcome that lies between certain bounds
  2. Normal - number of data points clustering around an average
  3. Exponential - time to event, at a constant average rate (usually failure rate, expected time for event to occur)
  4. Poisson - Number of events occurring in a fixed interval (distance/time/space)

I'm trying to work out which distribution it could be. First of all from the question, I can see it's about distance, it's bounded by 0 and 10km. Each event is independent. So I think this is a continuous uniform - any leak can spring up randomly at any point over the 10km distance. I can't decide from the question whether we just get one leak in one place at random. Thank you for your help in advance :)

I sat an online test at work, and there were a few questions I couldn't answer. Here is one of them...

Question: Leaks in an underground water pipe are known to occur randomly over its 10km length. Which of the following is the distribution of the distance of a newly discovered leak from the start of the water pipe?

Choose one of the following options (my comments are in bold):
  1. Continuous uniform - random outcome that lies between certain bounds
  2. Normal - number of data points clustering around an average
  3. Exponential - time to event, at a constant average rate (usually failure rate, expected time for event to occur)
  4. Poisson - Number of events occurring in a fixed interval (distance/time/space)

I'm trying to work out which distribution it could be. First of all from the question, I can see it's about distance, it's bounded by 0 and 10km. Each event is independent. So I think this is a continuous uniform - any leak can spring up randomly at any point over the 10km distance. I can't decide from the question whether we just get one leak in one place at random. Thank you for your help in advance :)
We're trying to model distance here, so it does not have anything to do with occurrence so Poisson and Exponential are out. I think the question is poorly written, but I think you're supposed to assume there's only 1 leak. I agree with your choice, continuous uniform.

We're trying to model distance here, so it does not have anything to do with occurrence so Poisson and Exponential are out. I think the question is poorly written, but I think you're supposed to assume there's only 1 leak. I agree with your choice, continuous uniform.
@BigBeachBanana thank you for your reply, most helpful.