if i'm asked to find f(5) and i have f(2) and f(3), can i change f(5) -> f(2+3) -> f(2) + f(3) ?

Pliniao

if i'm asked to find f(5) and i have f(2) and f(3), can i change f(5) -> f(2+3) -> f(2) + f(3) ?

Only in *very* specific circumstances. In general, the answer is "no".

(If they'd given you any information about the function, then it might have been possible to give a specific answer.)

Please show the actual problem you are working on. Do you know anything at all about the nature of f?

If you are asking about a general method, the answer is that you can't find f(5) given only f(2) and f(3). You can see this by picking any function (except an exponential) and trying it.

I see some trouble with your conjecture. f(5) = f(0+5) = f(0) + f(5), ie f(5) = f(0) + f(5). Now subtract f(5) from both sides and you arrive at 0 = f(0).
Surely you know that f(0) = 0 is NOT true for every function. ex: if f(x) = 7, then f(0) = 7 and if g(x) = x+6, then g(0)=6.
If f(x) = x2, then f(3+5) = f(8) = 82=64 while f(3)+f(5) = 9 + 25 = 34. Does 64=34??

What you are describing is what is called a linear function, not to be confused with a linear function.

I need glasses and a new brain.
I meant to write (and will triple check) that this type of function is a linear function, not to be confused with a linear equation.

I need glasses and a new brain.
I meant to write (and will triple check) that this type of function is a linear function, not to be confused with a linear equation.
And I was sure you had made a serious comment, that the sense in which you used "linear function" is the advanced sense, not the basic algebra sense. That's why I provided two different links, to show that it really did make sense.