"Im clueless..." (find domain of fcn: g(x) = 10x)

Eva Barragan

Every time I see a question about functions, I freeze. I know it's a completely simple process, but I just can't seem to grasp it. Please help.

The directions say: Find the domain of each function.

The problem is: g(x)=10x

I don't get it. Any help would be much appreciated.

-function dummy :D

What will work? That is the Domain. Often, it is easier to find what will NOT work.

What values can you multiply by 10? Are there ANY restrictions?

Hello eva,

The domain of a function is basically all the x values a function is permited to have. Most commonly an x value is not in the domain of a function when that x value makes the denominator of a fraction 0 (we can't divide by zero rember!) or it would result in a negative result under a square root symbol (this is called an imaginary/complex number, you will learn more about later; most likely in Algebra II). The domain can also be restricted on a function so that it actually is a function (ie it passes the vertical line test).

For the function g(x)=10x the domain is all real numbers (the symbol for all real numbers is a funny looking R, I wish I could emulate it on here but I don't know how). Basically that mean any real number you choose to assign x to will not create a 0 in the denominator, a negative number under a square root sign, or cause g(x) to fail the vertical line test.

Hope that helps.

Hello concorde,
wow your explination was sooooooo helpful.
I have never had anyone explain it to me like that.
thank really. that explanation did help. :D

hey tkhunny!
thanks for replying ummm what are restrictions?
sorry i dont get it. :?

Eva Barragan said:
What are restrictions?
Reread Concorde's first paragraph. Some are obvious. Some are not so obvious. Some are aritrary or deliberate. Some are a surprise as you work through a given problem.