I'm in need of concrete proofs to end a discussion

Mene

Hello

It pains me to bother you with such a trivial problem but i need a concrete answer.

8:2*(2+2) = ?

For me it's 16, but a friend of mine solved this by turning the division into a fraction

_______ =1
2*(2+2)

Is this correct? Why 1 and not 16, why 16 and not 1?

Thank you

There is no proof. This is a question about the meaning of symbols and how they are to interpreted when combined.

It's like asking for proof about the pronunciation of "tomato."

You can't end this discussion; people will always disagree, because there is no universally accepted rule. It's a complete waste of time.

For one recent discussion of the same issue, see my comment (and some of the others) on this thread.

As I said there, neither answer is necessarily wrong; rather, the question is wrong (invalid), because it lacks a context to determine the rules that are being assumed. If I were working and my boss gave me the expression to evaluate, I would turn back to her and ask what she intends by it. I would not just pretend I know "the answer".

Hello

It pains me to bother you with such a trivial problem but i need a concrete answer.

8:2*(2+2) = ?

For me it's 16, but a friend of mine solved this by turning the division into a fraction

_______ =1
2*(2+2)

Is this correct? Why 1 and not 16, why 16 and not 1?

Thank you
Assuming that : means division--
8:2*(2+2) = 4*(2+2) =4*(4) = 16

You do multiplication and division from left to right. Division came up 1st so we do it first, then multiplication came up so we do that next.

I am sorry but I disagree with Dr P about the whether or not there is an answer. I will however look at the post he refferenced to

There are 2 versions of this:
\(\displaystyle 8\div2*(2+2)\) and
\(\displaystyle 8\div2(2+2)\)

The first definitely equals 16.
The second, with the missing multiplication sign, is difficult to interpret.

… I disagree with Dr P about the whether or not there is an answer …
Dr P said there's no universally-accepted answer. We need the question's context; otherwise, different answers are possible.

?