I'm intrigued by the "ignore" feature of this forum

MaxMath

Is this a feature common (or popular) across forums? I'm curious about the reason for it. Tried once by accident, when turned on, say for a member, the messages of that certain member will be blanked out even in the opened thread. This is different from what would have thought, which is, for example, when you turn on the notification of a thread, new messages from that member will be excluded --- but just excluded from notification, not excluded when you actually open that thread. It's not just that. Why is this? Thoughts? Are you using this feature? If so, why?

Last edited:
Is this a feature common (or popular) across forums? I'm curious about the reason for it. Tried once by accident, when turned on, say for a member, the messages of that certain member will be blanked out even in the opened thread. This is different from what would have thought, which is, for example, when you turn on the notification of a thread, new messages from that member will be excluded --- but just excluded from notification, not excluded when you actually open that thread. It's not just that. Why is this? Thoughts? Are you using this feature? If so, why?
There have been a number of members that I have put on ignore. Most of the time I try to avoid using it, but we get spammers, trolls, etc. "Ignore" limits the number of times I have to deal with them.

-Dan

There have been a number of members that I have put on ignore. Most of the time I try to avoid using it, but we get spammers, trolls, etc. "Ignore" limits the number of times I have to deal with them.

-Dan
Thank you for sharing your experience.

After my post, I had a quick search, which quickly confirmed my suspicions about this – unfortunately, the reasons for it seem to be all negative, such as bad behaviours of members, abuses, etc.

As a member fairly new to this forum, with my very limited experience with it, sadly I have already seen abusive behaviours of members that were pitiful. So I have also put this feature into use. I feel sad we need this, but -- thinking the other way around -- given the reality we now live in, this is a good feature after all.

No intention to spread negativity; stay positive.