image 2

humakhan

my.php

correct :?:

You need to scale down your image's filesize. At 261 kilobytes, it isn't displaying here. (I'm not sure that ImageShack allows for hotlinking images that big, perhaps due to the bandwidth requirements.)

Thank you.

Eliz.

ok cant you copy the link and paste on url and press enter then it might come up.
because that is what i am doing and it came up

humakhan said:
ok cant you copy the link and paste on url and press enter then it might come up.
It is not the responsibility of the volunteers to try to go find your homework, figure out what the question was, decipher what you've done, and then type it out for you here.

Please have the courtesy to post the exercise and your work here, or at least in a form (with a clickable link) that is easily viewable (not a huge file).

For instance:

Click here to see the image. Warning: This is a 261-kilobyte file!
Or (and I'm making many assumptions here, because you did not include any instructions or descriptions):

Let A, B, and C be three parallel lines, and D be a transversal. (So we're looking at the same picture, draw A, B, and C horizontal, and D slanty from upper-left to lower-right.) Let E be perpendicular to A, B, and C (and draw it to the left of D). The following is, roughly speaking, the picture I'm looking at in my book:

Code:
        E  D
        |   \
A ------|----\-----------
 a + 5  |     \   a + 2
B ------|------\---------
  10    |       \   12
C ------|--------\-------
The expressions "10", "a + 5", "12", and "a + 2" refer to the lengths of the segments between A and B, and between B and C, along the lines E and D.

I need to solve for the value of "a". Here is my work....

Thank you for your consideration.

Eliz.

Huma, you know darn well a is not equal to -20;
so why do you waste time and post that?
I told you the "a + 2" was WRONG; should be greater than "a + 5";
now go find the original and post the darn thing properly :shock:

ok listen i have checked in my book and they have done this kind of problem the same way i showed you.

it comes out to a = -20

this is how i did it..and this is how the book shows also.
a + 5/ 10 = a + 2 / 12
12a + 60 = 10a + 20
subtract 10 from both sides
2a + 60 = 20
subtract 60 from both sides
2a = -40
divide 2
a = -20

check it .. and it comes out right

humakhan said:
it comes out right
You do realize that "a = -20" means that the length of the first segment is -15 and the length of the longer segment is the smaller value -18, right? The "solution" gives physically meaningless values, and gives a smaller value for a longer length.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Eliz.