impossible colony of ants

helpche

"a colony of ants doubles its population every month. if there are now 10000 ants, how many were there 5 months ago?"

my calculation leads to a .5 answer which we can't have so I'm doing something wrong or the uestion is wrong...which is it?

Aint too sure but I suppose the question takes the current months as month 1, not sure if that's how the grammar goes.

Cheers.

helpche said:
"a colony of ants doubles its population every month. if there are now 10000 ants, how many were there 5 months ago?"

my calculation leads to a .5 answer which we can't have so I'm doing something wrong or the uestion is wrong...which is it?

How did you get that?

The answer should be more than 300!

Please show your work.

Make up a simple example, like:
15, 30, 60, 120
"a colony of ants doubles its population every month. if there are now 120 ants, how many were there 3months ago?"

Yours works similarly.

Hello, helpche!

Denis has the best solution!

But if we must use algebra to solve it . . .

A colony of ants doubles its population every month.
If there are now 10,000 ants, how many were there 5 months ago?"

\(\displaystyle \text{Let }a_o\text{ be the original population.}\)
\(\displaystyle \text{Then in }t\text{ months, the population is: }\:p(t) \:=\:a_o\,2^{t-1}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Let }t = n\text{ represent "now": }\;P(n) \:=\:a_o\,2^{n-1} \:=\:10,\!000\;\;{\bf[1]}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Then 5 months ago: }\:p(n\!-\!5) \:=\:a_o\,2^{n-6} \:=\:X\;\;{\bf[2]}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Divide {\bf[2]} by {\bf[1]}: }\;\frac{X}{10,\!000} \;=\;\frac{a_o\,2^{n-6}}{a_o\,2^{n-1}} \quad\Rightarrow\quad \frac{X}{10,\!000} \:=\:2^{-5}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Therefore: }\;X \;=\;10,\!000\cdot 2^{-5} \;=\;312.5\)

thanks everyone for your feedback so far! I should have typed in the whole question:

"A colony of 10000 insects doubles in number every month. How many insects were there at each time?
a. 2 months ago b. 5 months ago"

we did get 312.5 by simply dividing in 2, 5 times, but the logic of a .5 insect has my step-son refusing to attempt the question as it doesn't make sense to him. I don't belive the question is the problem, but maybe we're not approaching the question in the right way?

appreciate your help on this! :D

if you start with 313 ants,

313, 626, 1252, 2504, 5008, 10016.....

Now teach him about "experimental error" - that is close enough to 10,000, and declare victory.

or may be more palatable answer would be - it was either 312 or 313 (starting point).