inequality symbols exercise

nonamefr

Hi all, please help me with this problem:

In each of the following exercises x and y represent any two whole numbers.
As you know, for these numbers exactly one of the statements x < y, x = y, or x > y is true.
Which of these is the true statement for each of the following exercises?
123.jpg

My reasoning is:

e. Since y is not greater than x and y is not equal to x then from this follows that у is less than x, which is equivalent to the statement x > y (from the above). So my answer: x > y is the only true statement.

f. Since y is not less than x and y is not equal to x then from this follows that y is greater than x, which is equivalent to the statement x < y (from the above).
So my answer: x < y is the only true statement.

Am I right?

(on the image in red color are the answers suggested by the book (i have instructor's copy for self-study) which contradicts with my reasoning...)

P.S. sorry for my English)

Hi all, please help me with this problem:

My reasoning is:

e. Since y is not greater than x and y is not equal to x then from this follows that у is less than x, which is equivalent to the statement x > y (from the above).

So my answer: x > y is the only true statement - which also means y < x (and this is what the book shows)

f. Since y is not less than x and y is not equal to x then from this follows that y is greater than x, which is equivalent to the statement x < y (from the above).
So my answer: x < y is the only true statement.- which also means y > x (and this is what the book shows)

Am I right?

(on the image in red color are the answers suggested by the book (i have instructor's copy for self-study) which contradicts with my reasoning...)

P.S. sorry for my English)

I think you and the book are correct.

I agree with Mr Khan that both you and the text are correct.
However, if you are expected to replace the symbol already there, then the one in red is preferred. And if this is computer graded then there is no other option.