Inference regarding the points the points (2, 1), (-3, 5) an

G

When the points (2, 1), (-3, 5) and (7, -3) are plotted on a coordinate plane, and then the y-coordinates are negated, what inference can be made about them?

What do you mean by "negating" the y-values? Do you mean that you plot a second set of points, each of the new points having the same x-values but oppositely-signed y-values?

I'm sure the author of your homework had something specific in mind when asking that you "infer" something or other, but it's difficult to say quite what that might have been, especially with us not being in your class or reading your book. What sorts of topics have been covered recently? What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Yes, it means plotting another set of points with y being negative. I plotted both sets of these points on a graph. The original set of points is a line with a negative slope that crosses the x axis at 3. The second set of points, when y is negated, is a line with a positive slope and it also crosses the x axis at 3. The question is, what inference can you make about the result of the location of a point when the sign of the y- coordinate is changed? I don't know what else to say about it, other than the slope of it changes from being negative to being positive.

Could you possibly infer that the points are reflected through the x axis?