Inscribed Circle's area

Spectre927

I have a circle inscribed in a triangle. Triangle ABC. Area of triangle is 12in^2 and perimeter is 20 inches. Is that enough info to find the area of the inscribed circle?

Hello, Spectre927!

I have a circle inscribed in triangle ABC.
Area of triangle is 12 in<sup>2</sup> and perimeter is 20 inches.

Is that enough info to find the area of the inscribed circle?
Yes, it is . . .

We're expected to know a certain theorem.

Given a triangle with perimeter \(\displaystyle P\) and the radius of the inscribed circle is \(\displaystyle r\)
\(\displaystyle \;\;\)the area of the triangle is: \(\displaystyle \,A\;=\;\frac{1}{2}Pr\;\) **

So we have: \(\displaystyle \,12\;=\;\frac{1}{2}(20)r\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;r = 1.2\)

Therefore, the area of the circle is: \(\displaystyle \,\pi r^2\;=\;\pi(1.2^2) \;=\;1.44\pi\) in<sup>2</sup>

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

**\(\displaystyle \;\;\) Proof
Code:
                    A
                    / \
                   /   \
                  /     \
                 / * * * \
               *\         /*
            c /  r\     /r  \ b
             /*     \ /     *\
            / *      *O     * \
           /  *      |      *  \
          /          |r         \
         /     *     |     *     \
        /       *    |    *       \
     B-*- - - - - -* * * - - - - - * C
                     a
\(\displaystyle O\) is the center of the inscribed circle with radius \(\displaystyle r\).

The sides of the triangle are tangent to the circle,
\(\displaystyle \;\;\)hence, the radii \(\displaystyle r\) are perpendicular to the sides.

We have three smaller triangles: \(\displaystyle \,\Delta AOB,\;\Delta BOC,\;\Delta COA\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)Area of \(\displaystyle \Delta AOB\;=\;\frac{1}{2}\cdot c\cdot r\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)Area of \(\displaystyle \Delta BOC\;=\;\frac{1}{2}\cdot a\cdot r\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)Area of \(\displaystyle \Delta COA\;=\;\frac{1}{2}\cdot b\cdot r\)

The area of \(\displaystyle \Delta ABC\:=\:\frac{1}{2}\cdot c\cdot r\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\cdot a\cdot r\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\cdot b\cdot r\;=\;\frac{1}{2}(a\,+\,b\,+\,c)r\)

Since \(\displaystyle a\,+\,b\,+\,c\;=\;P\), the perimeter,

\(\displaystyle \;\;\) we have: \(\displaystyle \,A\;=\;\frac{1}{2}Pr\;\;\) . . . ta-DAA!

Oooook. I see. Thank you. That was for my little sis and I dont remember much geometry. I wasnt sure if she'd witten everything down. Thanks again.