instantaneous rate of change question help please

Summer5526

hello! if anyone could please help me with this question I've been stuck on it for 1 hour anyone who does is an absolute angel.

the question: when is the instantaneous rate of change zero for the function: A(x)= (0.5x^2+x+2) / x
I have not yet learned calculus so I have to do this without finding the derivative!

thank you so much!

hello! if anyone could please help me with this question I've been stuck on it for 1 hour anyone who does is an absolute angel.

the question: when is the instantaneous rate of change zero for the function: A(x)= (0.5x^2+x+2) / x
I have not yet learned calculus so I have to do this without finding the derivative!

thank you so much!
What class is this? Did the teacher say that you could not use derivatives?

What class is this? Did the teacher say that you could not use derivatives?
it’s advanced functions so we have not learned calculus yet, i’m assuming the teacher wants us to use the instantaneous rate of change formula which is f(x+h)- f(x) / h and equate it to zero but i’m not too sure how to do so with the type formula given

Here is a hint. The instantaneous rate of change is at a point where the the tangent line is zero. As Harry_the_cat suggested, draw the graph.

The change in f, as x goes from a to a+ h, is f(a+ h)- f(a). The rate of change is \(\displaystyle \frac{f(a+h)- f(a)}{h}\).

The "instantaneous rate of change" is the limit as h goes to 0.

Here \(\displaystyle f(a)= \frac{0.5a^2+ a+ 2}{a}\) and \(\displaystyle f(a+ h)= \frac{0.5(a+ h)^2+ a+ h+ 2}{a+ h}= \frac{0.5a^2+ ah+ 0.5h^2+ a+ h+ 2}{a+h}\) so \(\displaystyle f(a+ h)- f(a)= \frac{0.5a^2+ ah+ 0.5h^2+ a+ h+ 2}{a+h}- \frac{0.5a^2+ a+ 2}{a}\).

To subtract we need to get a common denominator.
\(\displaystyle f(a+h)- f(a)= \frac{(0.5a^2+ ah+ 0.5h^2+ a+ h+ 2)a}{a(a+h)}- \frac{(0.5a^2+ a+ 2)(a+ h}{a(a+ h}\)
\(\displaystyle = \frac{0.5a^3+ a^2h+ 0.5ah^2+ a^2+ 2a- 0.5a^3-0.5a^2h- a^2- ah- 2a- 2h}{a(a+ h)}\)
\(\displaystyle = \frac{(0.5a^2h+ 0.5ah^2- ah- 2h}{a(a+ h)}= \frac{(0.5a^2+ 0.5ah- a- 2)h}{a(a+h)}\)

So the "difference quotient} is
\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x+h)- f(x)}{h}= \frac{0.5a^2+ 0.5ah- a- 2)h}{a(a+h)h}= \frac{0.5a^2+ 0.5ah- a- 2}{a(a+h)}\)

Now take the limit of that as h goes to 0.
(Check my algebra. I'm not at all sure I haven't mis-written.)