integer exponents, rational and irrational, and scientific notation no caculator help

morgan29

i failed two quizzes and have to do recovery sheets before I can redo my quizzes . I could get a 100 if I used a caulator but they are not allowed. I need serious help. please anyone help me I have a test on all 3 of those subjects tomorrow .

i failed two quizzes and have to do recovery sheets before I can redo my quizzes . I could get a 100 if I used a caulator but they are not allowed. I need serious help. please anyone help me I have a test on all 3 of those subjects tomorrow .

Please put up your question/s along with

your work

and we will catch your mistakes(if any)

and suggest road to improvement.

recovery sheet on integer exponents

1. 4^3 x 4^5=4^8 2. 3 x3^4 x 3^2= 3^6 3. 6^-3 x 7^4= help. 4. 9^7/ 9^4= help. 5. 5^-4 x 5^-2= really need help. 6. a^10 /a^7= help 7.33^0= 1 8. (-7)^0=1 9. (4^2)^6=4^12 10. (2^5)^3= 2^15 11. George separated his gummy bears into equal groups, he thinks there 2^6 gummy bears in each of the 2^2 bowls. how many gummy bears does George have ?= help 12.blackman high school has 10^3 total of students and there are 10^2 number of classes. how many students are in each class? = help. ( the ones that say help are the ones I am confused on and the ones that are answered I think are right .)

1. 4^3 x 4^5=4^8 2. 3 x3^4 x 3^2= 3^6 3. 6^-3 x 7^4= help. 4. 9^7/ 9^4= help. 5. 5^-4 x 5^-2= really need help. 6. a^10 /a^7= help 7.33^0= 1 8. (-7)^0=1 9. (4^2)^6=4^12 10. (2^5)^3= 2^15 11. George separated his gummy bears into equal groups, he thinks there 2^6 gummy bears in each of the 2^2 bowls. how many gummy bears does George have ?= help 12.blackman high school has 10^3 total of students and there are 10^2 number of classes. how many students are in each class? = help. ( the ones that say help are the ones I am confused on and the ones that are answered I think are right .)

First is to know a couple of the basic formulas using exponents:

\(\displaystyle a^{m} \cdot a^{n}=a^{m+n}\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{a^{m}}{a^{n}}=a^{m-n}\)

That being said, (1) is correct, but (2) should be \(\displaystyle 3^{7}\) because you have \(\displaystyle 3^{1} \cdot 3^{4} \cdot 3^{2}=3^{1+4+2}=3^{7}\)

(4) should be \(\displaystyle 9^{3}\). Do you see why?

1. 4^3 x 4^5=4^8
2. 3 x3^4 x 3^2= 3^6
3. 6^-3 x 7^4= help.
4. 9^7/ 9^4= help.
5. 5^-4 x 5^-2= really need help.
6. a^10 /a^7= help
7.33^0= 1
8. (-7)^0=1
9. (4^2)^6=4^12
10. (2^5)^3= 2^15
11. George separated his gummy bears into equal groups, he thinks there 2^6 gummy bears in each of the 2^2 bowls. how many gummy bears does George have ?= help
12.blackman high school has 10^3 total of students and there are 10^2 number of classes. how many students are in each class? = help.
( the ones that say help are the ones I am confused on and the ones that are answered I think are right .)
Looks like you are getting stumped by negative exponents. Two things to remember:
Adding a negative number is the same as subtracting.
Moving a number between numerator and denominator changes the sign of the exponent ..
that is, the negative sign in the exponent means "reciprocal."

3. typo? all the others have the same base - I'll assume "6".. (6^-3)(6^4) = 6^[(-3)+(4)] = 6^1

4. 9^4 in the denominator is equal to 9^(-4) in the numerator. 9^7/9^4 = 9^(7-4) = 9^3

5. The sum of two negative numbers is (-4)+(-2) = -4 - 2 = -6

11. (2^6 bears/bowl)*(2^2 bowls) = (2^6)(2^2) bears = ...

12. (number per class) = (total number)/(classes) = (10^3)/(10^2) = ...

recovery sheet on rational and irrational numbers.this one i really need help on

1.what is the decimal expansion of the rational number 3/11?= help don't know how to turn decimals into fractions. 2.explain how to write -2.65 ratio of two integers. = super confused 3. what is the rational number in the form a/b for decimal expansion 0.83 it is a repeating decimal. = super confused . 4. determine if the square root of 2 is rational or irrational explain why.= super confused 5.explain why the square root of 5 is an irrational number . estimate the value of square root of 5 to the nearest tenth. show your work . then graph it on the number line below= super super confused . 6.mindy wrote the following numbers in her notebook- 7.31038....., square root of 38, 51/10, and pi . what are mindys four numbers from least to greatest? use the number line below to show your work= super confused . 7 . one side of the triangular garden is the square root of 15 feet long. estimate the length of that side to the nearest hundredth .= super confused . 8. the square cover of the public swimming pool has an area of 21 square feet , what is the measure of one side of the cover to the nearest thousandth ?= super confused. 9. the weight of a watermelon is the square root of 29 pounds . the weight of the pumpkin is 2 x pi pounds . compare the weights of the watermelon and the pumpkin ( using the symbols ,<,>,or =) = super confused ( this quiz I made a 29% so I need help)

1.what is the decimal expansion of the rational number 3/11?= help don't know how to turn decimals into fractions. 2.explain how to write -2.65 ratio of two integers. = super confused 3. what is the rational number in the form a/b for decimal expansion 0.83 it is a repeating decimal. = super confused . 4. determine if the square root of 2 is rational or irrational explain why.= super confused 5.explain why the square root of 5 is an irrational number . estimate the value of square root of 5 to the nearest tenth. show your work . then graph it on the number line below= super super confused . 6.mindy wrote the following numbers in her notebook- 7.31038....., square root of 38, 51/10, and pi . what are mindys four numbers from least to greatest? use the number line below to show your work= super confused . 7 . one side of the triangular garden is the square root of 15 feet long. estimate the length of that side to the nearest hundredth .= super confused . 8. the square cover of the public swimming pool has an area of 21 square feet , what is the measure of one side of the cover to the nearest thousandth ?= super confused. 9. the weight of a watermelon is the square root of 29 pounds . the weight of the pumpkin is 2 x pi pounds . compare the weights of the watermelon and the pumpkin ( using the symbols ,<,>,or =) = super confused ( this quiz I made a 29% so I need help)

Go to:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/83150-Multivariate-Linear-Regression-Models

then try #1 and #2 and show us the work.

my work for 1 and 2

11/3 - 11 doesn't go into 3 so you put 0 next you bring down the 0 and make 30 how many times does 11 go into 30 . 11 goes into 30 two times so you put 2 next to zero and you out 22 below 30 and subtract then you get 8 . how many times does 11 go into 8 it doesn't so you put a 0 next to the two and you bring the 0 down making it 80 . how many times does 11 go into to 80 seven times . so you put a 7 next to the zero and put 77 under 80 and subtract you get 3 . how many times does 11 go into 3 it doesn't so you put a 0 next to the 7 and you bring the zero down to make 30. how many times does 11 go into 30 it goes 22 times . It has repeated so my answer is .020702 repeating. and since they are repeating it is a rational number. okay before I do two did I get that right it was really hard

one is wrong

I didn't get one right I had the two numbers I needed but I had 0 and not enough sevens and twos. I don't understand this . I did everything the work sheet said to do but it is still wrong:(

I didn't get one right I had the two numbers I needed but I had 0 and not enough sevens and twos. I don't understand this . I did everything the work sheet said to do but it is still wrong:(
You had it as far as 0.2, with a remainder of 8. You always bring down the next digit after you subtract, since the 8 is a remainder from the last digit and will always be <11. You are done with that decimal point and need to do the next.
Code:
    [U]  0.2727..[/U]
[U] 11 [/U]) 3.000000
      [U]2.2 [/U]
        [U]77 [/U]
         [U]22 [/U]
          [U]77 [/U]
Notice that the result is a repeating decimal .. it will keep on going "27" forever. How are you supposed to indicate that?

thank you

thanks to everyone that helped me out on this. I redid my quizzes today wont know the grades till later next week but my fingers are crossed!!! think I did really good . thank you a gain this is a great site . will definitely come here when I have math troubles .:rolleyes: