Integers world problem pemdas rule

alexanderdizon

The temeprature in Benguet province drop by at 1 degree C per month. If the temperature in october is 20 degrees C, what would be the temeprature in February the following year? What would be the average temeprature from October to February?

The temeprature in Benguet province drop by at 1 degree C per month. If the temperature in october is 20 degrees C, what would be the temeprature in February the following year? What would be the average temeprature from October to February?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Your reference to pemdas suggests you have a specific question about your work or your interpretation of the problem. Please tell us your thoughts.

(The problem is not a real-world problem, as temperatures never drop at a constant rate over a period of months. But you are looking for a linear function with a given slope (rate) and "y-intercept", if you define x to be the time starting in October.)

I don't think we have the problem in its correct form: it never heats up in that province!!!!!!!

T
I don't think we have the problem in its correct form: it never heats up in that province!!!!!!!
That's the problem that we need to solve. We need to apply the pemdas for integers. Like my tracher said if it says temperature drop it means negative.

Your reference to pemdas suggests you have a specific question about your work or your interpretation of the problem. Please tell us your thoughts.

(The problem is not a real-world problem, as temperatures never drop at a constant rate over a period of months. But you are looking for a linear function with a given slope (rate) and "y-intercept", if you define x to be the time starting in October.)
We're not in x and y slope yet. Only integers

Temperature in October is 20 degrees C, what would be the temperature in November?

...what would be the temperature in December?

...what would be the temperature in January?

continue....

This is part of the reason we ask you to show work, and tell us what you are learning: so we can tell what kind of help is appropriate.

It appears that you are asked to do just what Subhotosh asked you to do in #7: find the numbers one at a time (and then, at the end, find the average). Please do so, so we can see where, if at all, you need help.

That's the problem that we need to solve. We need to apply the pemdas for integers. Like my teacher said if it says temperature drop it means negative.
I would personally say that "drop" means subtraction, though you can, if you wish, think of it as adding a negative. So what number do you subtract from what number? I don't think you'll really need PEMDAS at all, but we can't tell until we see how you are trying to do it.

Like for example if you are going to write it in equation:
-1 (cue word is drop) then positive 4 for 4 months...

so -1 x (4) then aanswer is -4.

For the next question, what woule be the temperature by February next year if October starts at 20 degrees C and it drops 1 degree celcius every month.

Then what is the average of the temperature from october to February.

Thank you very much for this group!

This is part of the reason we ask you to show work, and tell us what you are learning: so we can tell what kind of help is appropriate.

It appears that you are asked to do just what Subhotosh asked you to do in #7: find the numbers one at a time (and then, at the end, find the average). Please do so, so we can see where, if at all, you need help.

I would personally say that "drop" means subtraction, though you can, if you wish, think of it as adding a negative. So what number do you subtract from what number? I don't think you'll really need PEMDAS at all, but we can't tell until we see how you are trying to do it.

Attachments

• 16028894491093492608459002244903.jpg
    16028894491093492608459002244903.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
Please give the exact problem.

Attachments

• 16028902055162067193618465014793.jpg
    16028902055162067193618465014793.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4

Attachments

• 16028903071447894503754381933499.jpg
    16028903071447894503754381933499.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
Thanks. Showing both the actual assignment and an example is an excellent way to give us context.

It appears that you have in fact done some work, though you haven't directly answered our requests to show it. In the corner of the problem,
FMH125618 prob.png,
you wrote 20+19+18+17+..., which implies to me that you have successfully found the first four months' temperatures, at least, and are at least starting to find the average. You presumably made (or could make) a table like they do in Example 5, and use that for the average.

I think if you just show us the rest of your work, we will be able to either tell you that you are finished, or help you with one last step. This is not a difficult problem, and maybe you expect it to be harder! There is no need to write a particular equation, or to use PEMDAS; the most you need at any point is 20 - 1 = 19, or 20 + (-1) = 19. And since they asked for the temperature each month, you don't need to calculate, all at once, the temperature in February.

Like for example if you are going to write it in equation:
-1 (cue word is drop) then positive 4 for 4 months...

so -1 x (4) then aanswer is -4.

For the next question, what would be the temperature by February next year if October starts at 20 degrees C and it drops 1 degree celcius every month.

Then what is the average of the temperature from october to February.

Thank you very much for this group!

As for what they are teaching you, it looks like you are being introduced to the idea of negative numbers, so they are using them in places you don't really need to use them. You can either say that -1 is being added each month, or that 1 is being subtracted each month; these are the same thing, as I suggested before.

In the deduction example, I would rather have said that the total deduction is P2400, as they do at the end, rather than that the deduction is -2400, since the word "deduction" already tells you the direction; but the change is -2400, where we need the sign to indicate the direction. But that's a matter of words more than math.

Thank you for giving the problem exactly.

The problem has nothing to do with PEMDAS, and PEMDAS applies to integers as well as any other type of number.

The straight forward (but inefficient) way to solve this problem is to calculate the temperature month by month JUST AS SUBHOTOSH suggested. Did you do that?

So what is the temperature after 4 months? So what is the average temperature for the five months?

Do you see an easier way to do both problems?

Thank you for giving the problem exactly.

The problem has nothing to do with PEMDAS, and PEMDAS applies to integers as well as any other type of number.

The straight forward (but inefficient) way to solve this problem is to calculate the temperature month by month JUST AS SUBHOTOSH suggested. Did you do that?

So what is the temperature after 4 months? So what is the average temperature for the five months?

Do you see an easier way to do both problems?
Thank you for your help. Im sorry, Im just not sure how to answer this. Thank you!

Thank you for your help. Im sorry, Im just not sure how to answer this. Thank you!
If you do still need help, then the way to answer is to try something, and show us your work! That way we can see if you are misunderstanding what has been said, and move forward. When you just say you don't understand, it doesn't help the conversation.

But, as I said, it looks to me like you have already done it -- unless the work written on your paper is not your own!