Integers

SunshineHearts

On the Space Shuttle, liquid oxygen is stored at -183 degrees Celsius. The oxygen is heated to a temperature of 260 degrees Celsius, and then mixed with hydrogen. Hydrogen is stored at a temperature of 3315 degrees Celsius.

a) By how much is the liquid oxygen heated before it is mixed with hydrogen?
Is the equation: -183 - _______ = 260 ?
Is the answer: 260 + (-183) = ?
If not, what are the steps to finding the answer?

b) How much hotter is the temperature at which the mixture burns than the temperature at which hydrogen is stored?
I don't understand this question. Please help. Thanks

On the Space Shuttle, liquid oxygen is stored at -183 degrees Celsius. The oxygen is heated to a temperature of 260 degrees Celsius, and then mixed with hydrogen. Hydrogen is stored at a temperature of 3315 degrees Celsius.

a) By how much is the liquid oxygen heated before it is mixed with hydrogen?
Is the equation: -183 - _______ = 260 ?...NO, you have to ADD something to (-183) to get 260
Is the answer: 260 + (-183) = ?
If not, what are the steps to finding the answer?
The change of temperature is
(final) - (initial) = (260) - (-183) = ______?
What happens when you subtract a negative number?

b) How much hotter is the temperature at which the mixture burns than the temperature at which hydrogen is stored?
I don't understand this question. Please help. Thanks
I think you left out a crucial part of a sentence:
"Hydrogen is stored at a temperature of _______and burns at a temperature of 3315 degrees Celsius."
Again, the difference (final) - (initial) tells you how much hotter.

Still Confused?

a) My steps:
-183 - ___ = 260
-183 + ___ = 260
-183 + 443 = 260
-183 - (-443) = 260
Is the answer correct? -443

b)What do you mean by final and initial? :confused:
I left out a part of the question:
On the Space Shuttle, liquid oxygen is stored at -183 degrees Celsius. The oxygen is heated to a temperature of 260 degrees Celsius, and then mixed with hydrogen. Hydrogen is stored at a temperature of -250 degrees Celsius. The mixture results burns at a temperature of 3315 degrees Celsius.

a) My steps:
-183 - ___ = 260....NO
-183 + ___ = 260....YES
-183 + 443 = 260..<-- this shows what you add to (-183) to get up to 260
-183 - (-443) = 260
Is the answer correct? -443 ....NO, you had to add a POSITIVE number to get a higher result

b)What do you mean by final and initial? :confused:
I left out a part of the question:
On the Space Shuttle, liquid oxygen is stored at -183 degrees Celsius. The oxygen is heated to a temperature of 260 degrees Celsius, and then mixed with hydrogen. Hydrogen is stored at a temperature of -250 degrees Celsius. The mixture results burns at a temperature of 3315 degrees Celsius.
By "initial" I mean what the temperature is before something happens, and "final" is the temperature after the change has happened. For the second part,
initial (before) = stored hydrogen = -250
final (after) = burning temperature = 3315
change of temperature = final - initial = ____