Integral Prob (AP Calculus AB): "Find biggest positive integral value that CANNOT..."

bkornak0096

Integral Prob (AP Calculus AB): "Find biggest positive integral value that CANNOT..."

Find the biggest positive integral value that CANNOT be written as the sum of a positive composite integral value and a positive integer multiple of 42.

I don't understand what this question is asking for,and have no idea how to approach it.

Help would be appreciated ! :)

Erm.. I'm not 100% sure either. My best guess is that, because "integral" can also mean the adjective form of "integer," they simply want you to find the largest integer that can't be expressed at the sum of a positive composite integer and an integer multiple of 42. So, basically you'd want to find the smallest z such that: \(\displaystyle x+42y=z\) has no solution, where x is a composite integer, and y and z are positive integers. You may want to double check your instructor though, as the wording is quite strange - why be "fancy" and say "integral value" instead of "integer" if that's what they mean?