Integrate

Shreya

IMG-20200607-WA0001.jpg

That curly braces in each term in integrand denotes fractional part of x, that is

{x} = x - greatest integer of x

Basically it means only the decimal part of x

Last edited by a moderator:
I break integral at 1/2
Then i try to evaluate the integral from 0 to 1/2 and 1/2 to 1 , I try to see how the integrand behaves from graph
But I m getting some series which I can't evaluate
My idea is I should get two converging series, one from 0 to 1/2 and other from 1/2 to 1 , but I m unable to evaluate those , I think something better is possible, please help

I break integral at 1/2
Then i try to evaluate the integral from 0 to 1/2 and 1/2 to 1 , I try to see how the integrand behaves from graph
My idea is I should get two converging series, one from 0 to 1/2 and other from 1/2 to 1 , but I m unable to evaluate those , I think something better is possible, please help
Did you post the complete problem?

What does the statement

Where {x} is fractional part of x​

mean?

Did you post the complete problem?

What does the statement

Where {x} is fractional part of x​

mean?
The problem is complete
That curly braces in each term in integrand denotes fractional part of x, that is
{x}=x-greatest integer of x
Basically it means only the decimal part of x
That's why its not that easy to simplify the integrand
Kindly help

I break integral at 1/2
Interesting problem. Is it for a class, or something like a contest problem?

I observe that of the three factors, the first and last are discontinuous at x = 1/n for any integer (since then 1/x is an integer), and the middle factor is discontinuous when 1-x=1/m, that is, when x = 1-1/m for m an integer. So my first thought is to break up the integral as two infinite sums, which may well be closely related.

But maybe that's exactly what you've done. Why not show us the series you got (and how you got them), so we can check them out? I haven't tried actually doing it yet.

Interesting problem. Is it for a class, or something like a contest problem?

I observe that of the three factors, the first and last are discontinuous at x = 1/n for any integer (since then 1/x is an integer), and the middle factor is discontinuous when 1-x=1/m, that is, when x = 1-1/m for m an integer. So my first thought is to break up the integral as two infinite sums, which may well be closely related.

But maybe that's exactly what you've done. Why not show us the series you got (and how you got them), so we can check them out? I haven't tried actually doing it yet.
Have a look sir
IMG_20200615_160404.jpgIMG_20200615_160411.jpgIMG_20200615_160434.jpgIMG_20200615_160438.jpg