Interpret Relation From Data

mathdad

The following data represent the weight (in grams) of various candy bars and the corresponding number of calories.

Candy Bar.......Weight, x.......Calories, y

Hershey..........44.28..............230
Nestle.............44.84.............230
Butterfinger....61.30.............270
Babe Ruth......66.45.............280
Almond Joy...47.33.............220
Twix...............58.00.............280
Snickers........61.12.............280
Heath............39.52.............210

Question:

What type of relation appears to exist between the weigh of a candy bar and the number of calories?

I say more weight = more calories and vice-versa.

According to the textbook answer section, the correct relation should be stated as the following:

Linear with positive slope.

I do not understand the book's answer. Also, is my understanding wrong?

The following data represent the weight (in grams) of various candy bars and the corresponding number of calories.

Candy Bar.......Weight, x.......Calories, y

Hershey..........44.28..............230
Nestle.............44.84.............230
Butterfinger....61.30.............270
Babe Ruth......66.45.............280
Almond Joy...47.33.............220
Twix...............58.00.............280
Snickers........61.12.............280
Heath............39.52.............210

Question:

What type of relation appears to exist between the weigh of a candy bar and the number of calories?

I say more weight = more calories and vice-versa.

According to the textbook answer section, the correct relation should be stated as the following:

Linear with positive slope.

I do not understand the book's answer. Also, is my understanding wrong?
First plot x vs. y

Does it approximately look like a straight line?

Did you study "best-fit-line" in your class?

The best way to look at it would be to plot the points. Weight on the horizontal axis, and calories on vertical axis. You will notice that the points will form a line (approximately) sloping upwards to the right. Sloping upwards to the right is a "positive slope"

What you're saying "more weight = more calories and vice-versa" is correct but not complete.

A positive slope means "more weight implies more calories" but it doesn't give any description of the shape the dots form.

Linear means they roughly form a straight line.
Positive slope means sloping upwards (increase in one goes with an increase is the other).

First plot x vs. y

Does it approximately look like a straight line?

Did you study "best-fit-line" in your class?

1. What class? I am a self-study math individual.
2. I went back to the textbook and found information about best-fit-lines. The textbook information Is not too clear.

The best way to look at it would be to plot the points. Weight on the horizontal axis, and calories on vertical axis. You will notice that the points will form a line (approximately) sloping upwards to the right. Sloping upwards to the right is a "positive slope"

What you're saying "more weight = more calories and vice-versa" is correct but not complete.

A positive slope means "more weight implies more calories" but it doesn't give any description of the shape the dots form.

Linear means they roughly form a straight line.
Positive slope means sloping upwards (increase in one goes with an increase is the other).

i totally get it now. Thank you.