Intersection of 3 events

jess5085

Hi,
I'm stuck on this Q. I don't know how to calculate the intersection of all 3 events occurring. Based on the formula to find the probability of walk AND bus AND cycle I need to know the probability of walk OR bus OR cycle. Can I find this by P(walk) x P(bus) x P(cycle) i.e. 0.4 x 0.6 x 0.35 or is that not correct.

Thanks!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I'm stuck on this Q. I don't know how to calculate the intersection of all 3 events occurring. Based on the formula to find the probability of walk AND bus AND cycle I need to know the probability of walk OR bus OR cycle. Can I find this by P(walk) x P(bus) x P(cycle) i.e. 0.4 x 0.6 x 0.35 or is that not correct.

Thanks!.

See the answers I just gave to the same question. This is not about independent events; it's a Venn diagram problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Sorry I didn't realize the previous thread was asking the same Q.

Is this the right equation to solve for x?

View attachment 9908

Thanks.

No. The 40% is not for just the region you put it in, but for that entire circle. The same is true of everything else.

Start with x in the middle; then put expressions in the three double-overlap regions based on what you know about those; and then fill in the three outer parts.