Is John's estimate reasonable?

eddy2017

Elite Member
this is a hard problem. Seems easy at first, so I will go for the choice 1 because the size of the field has been doubled then the time it takes to mow it will also double.

John knows that he can mow a rectangular lawn that measures 20 yards by 40 yards in 2 hours. He estimates that it should take him about 4 hours to mow a rectangular lawn that measures 40 yards by 80 yards. Is John's estimate reasonable?

Choose an answer
  1. Yes, because doubling the size of the field will double the amount of mowing time.
  2. No, because John will be able to mow a longer distance without changing direction, resulting in a shorter mowing time.
  3. Yes, because when the perimeter of the field is doubled, the total distance that the mower will need to travel is doubled.
  4. No, because doubling the dimensions of the field will increase the area of the field by 4, resulting in a mowing time of about 8 hours.

A1= l * w
A=20 * 40
A=800 yds^2 in two hours

A2 =40 * 80
A2 =3200 yds^2 in 4 hours

400 yds =1 hour

so 8 hours will take to mow 3200 yds^2

after this calculation I rectified my choice.
it is the last choice
No, because doubling the dimensions of the field will increase the area of the field by 4, resulting in a mowing time of about 8 hours.

A priori, one tends to choose #1 choice, after some math is done, then things change,lol.
if there is a quicker or more mathematical way, please, let me know. thanks

A priori, one tends to choose #1 choice, after some math is done, then things change,lol.
if there is a quicker or more mathematical way, please, let me know. thanks
The size in question is area. Time is proportional to the area. Mathematical way is thinking clearly, that's basically it.

so my choice is wrong. it is then the first choice?.
Your calculations are correct. I'm questioning your suggestion that 1 seems like an obvious choice initially. I consider it obviously wrong, because in "doubling the size of the field" size refers to area, but we are NOT doubling the area.

Yes, I understand now. thanks, lev. then I said, eddy,there is more to this than meets the eye, eh. and the started like you say reasoning what had been given to me.

400 yards does not equal 1 hour.

Even 400 square yards does not equal 1 hour.

However, 400 square yards does correspond to
1 hour.
My bad. I wanted to mean that 1 hour was needed to mow the 400 yd^2.

THANK YOU ALL, HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL OF YOU. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. THANK YOUUUUU. THANK YOUUUUU.
TO ALL TUTORS, HELPERS, AND MEMBERS OF THE FORUM IN GENERAL.
I have to go now.
HAPPY 2022!
THANK YOU MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!.

THANK YOU ALL, HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL OF YOU. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. THANK YOUUUUU. THANK YOUUUUU.
TO ALL TUTORS, HELPERS, AND MEMBERS OF THE FORUM IN GENERAL.
I have to go now.
HAPPY 2022!
THANK YOU MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!.

Please do not shout your post in all caps.

Sorry, it was to demostrate my appreciation. Sorry if that affected your delicate ears, buddy. It was not my intention you ended up the year with an earache. Lolol
Good night

Sorry, it was to demostrate my appreciation. Sorry if that affected your delicate ears, buddy. It was not my intention you ended up the year with an earache. Lolol
Good night

eddy2017, I am not "buddy" to you. I am lookagain. You
are to address users with their usernames, or just don't
address them at all. Your first sentence
would have been appropriate, but then you erased your apology with the rest of your post.
I don't have "delicate ears," but your all caps is
understood to be shouting to all who
read. So, I see you tried to put your wrong
behavior on me, instead of sincerely apologizing for it.
This is an example where the cover-up
can be as bad as the original incident. I reported
your post for it.

Last edited:
You took it the wrong way. I clearly said it was to show my appreciation to all tutors. You're taking it to an extreme. And about the ears was meant to be light. Not to offend you.

Please do not shout your post in all caps.
There is a significant difference between an all caps post asking about a math problem and an all caps post wishing everybody happy new year.

eddy2017, I am not "buddy" to you. I am lookagain. You
are to address users with their usernames, or just don't
address them at all. Your first sentence
would have been appropriate, but then you erased your apology with the rest of your post.
I don't have "delicate ears," but your all caps is
understood to be shouting to all who
read. So, I see you tried to put your wrong
behavior on me, instead of sincerely apologizing for it.
This is an example where the cover-up
can be as bad as the original incident. I reported
your post for it.
I'm sure @eddy2017 meant no harm, just excited. Plus, it's last year post. Let's move forward to 2022. ?

Thnak you lev and BBB,and Jeff for your suppor in t his time-wating affair. Look, lookagain, I xplained to you I was emphasizing my appreciation and love for these tutors and friends here at the forum who has helped all year around for the patience and dedication. you don't find that in many forums. That is why I use the capital letters. I said to you that i am sorry for 'buddying you. My bad. But you said 'don't call us'. BBB was consulted by me and he said he doesn't mind. Don't worry. I won't do it again. As to the capital letters, every New Year's Eve, if you do not want to hear me vociferously yelling my appreciation to this forum, to tutors, to moderators, get out of shouting distance or get some earplugs, and plug your ears!
Needed to clear that up to you. The mods are the ones who can tell me not to do it, other tutors too, like Jeff, Lev, Dr Khan, Otis, Jomo, skeeter,blamocur, and te rest who have helped every day with love and kindness. Can they get me not to do it?. if they ask, i will not do it.
Only them.
you can report away!
Now, on to my main goal in life : Math. I have already wasted golden minutes of my time!

The mods are the ones who can tell me not to do it, other tutors too, like Jeff, Lev, Dr Khan, Otis, Jomo, skeeter,blamocur, and te rest who have helped every day with love and kindness. Can they get me not to do it?. if they ask, i will not do it.
Only them.

Nope, not only them. You are not here to be treated with "love and kindness."
You are here to be treated with respect but also show respect to the helpers. That includes how how you conduct yourself in the forum. You are not to be treated as a favorite, which you are wanting.