Is my answer wrong? I got (1/2)a^2(2π−sin(2Ø)−2cos(Ø))

I got [imath]a^2\left(\pi -2ϕ\cos ^2\left(2ϕ\right)\right)[/imath]. By the way, the real question is, how did you know that solving the small triangle using trigonometry would give us the y value? How could you see that?

I got [imath]a^2\left(\pi -2ϕ\cos ^2\left(2ϕ\right)\right)[/imath]. By the way, the real question is, how did you know that solving the small triangle using trigonometry would give us the y value? How could you see that?
Good question.

I looked for what parts of the picture involve y together with the desired variables a and [imath]\phi[/imath]:

1680452475987.png
That isn't immediately obvious; but it becomes clearer when we identify other segments with the same lengths a and y:
1680452582193.png
Once you see the isosceles triangle with sides a and y, and angle [imath]\phi[/imath], you can draw in the perpendicular and you have a useful right triangle.

But please show the details of your work; I think there is still an error.

I think I made a typing error. I meant to type πa² - 2a²ϕcos(ϕ)².
That still isn't right; one number in it is wrong.

I'm not sure we ever pointed out that this was wrong:
This is my final answer: a²π-y²∅. I do not know how one would remove the y. Ignore the other answers I said earlier.
If you would show your work, we wouldn't have to waste so much time.

Initially I got πa²-1/2(y²)(2ϕ). Later on I got y = 2a cosϕ. On substituting, I get πa² - 1/2(2a cosϕ)²(2ϕ). Simplifying it gets me to πa² -4a²ϕcos(ϕ)². Is this right?

Initially I got πa²-1/2(y²)(2ϕ). Later on I got y = 2a cosϕ. On substituting, I get πa² - 1/2(2a cosϕ)²(2ϕ). Simplifying it gets me to πa² -4a²ϕcos(ϕ)². Is this right?
Looks good to me, but instead of [imath]\cos (\phi)^2[/imath] (which could also be interpreted as [imath]\cos(\phi^2)[/imath]) I'd typeset it as [imath]\cos^2\phi[/imath]