Is my induction-step argument correct here?

Sophdof1

Hi I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if my induction step is correct here... thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Hi I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if my induction step is correct here... thanks
IF p(n) holds for ALL n>1, then why show that p(n+1) is true? Instead, say that p(k) holds for some n=k. Then show that p(k+1) is true

Do you understand the logic of a proof by induction?
If we know that for \(\displaystyle a>-1\) and we know that \(\displaystyle (1+a)^1\ge 1+1\cdot a\).
Suppose we assume that \(\displaystyle (1+a)^k\ge 1+k\cdot a\) is true for \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}^+\).
Here is what we do next:
\(\displaystyle (1+a)^{k+1}=(1+a)(1+a)^k\\(1+a)^{k+1}\ge(1+a)( 1+k\cdot a)\\(1+a)^{k+1}\ge( 1+k\cdot a+a+k\cdot a^2)\\\\(1+a)^{k+1}\ge 1+(k+1)\cdot a\)
So now: we know if true for \(\displaystyle k\) then it is also true for \(\displaystyle k+1\).
We started off with it being true for \(\displaystyle k=1\) so it is true \(\displaystyle k=1+1=2\).
Well then it must be true for \(\displaystyle 2+1=3+1=4+1,\cdots.\)
Thus \(\displaystyle \forall n\in\mathbb{Z}^+\) & \(\displaystyle a\ge-1\) then \(\displaystyle (1+a)^n\ge1+n\cdot a\)

BTW: this is very famous and known as Bernoulli's inequality.

At the end you have \(\displaystyle (1+ a)^{n+1}\ge 1+ a+ na+ na^2\ge 1+ a+ na\) and then argue that since a>-1, 1+ a> 0. But you want it greater than 1, not just greater than 0. Instead, write it as \(\displaystyle (1+ a)^{n+1}\ge 1+ na+ (a+ na^2)\) and show that \(\displaystyle a+ na^2\) is greater than 0.

At the end you have \(\displaystyle (1+ a)^{n+1}\ge 1+ a+ na+ na^2\ge 1+ a+ na\) and then argue that since a>-1, 1+ a> 0. But you want it greater than 1, not just greater than 0. Instead, write it as \(\displaystyle (1+ a)^{n+1}\ge 1+ na+ (a+ na^2)\) and show that \(\displaystyle a+ na^2\) is greater than 0.

How can \(\displaystyle \ a + na^2 \ \) be shown to necessarily be greater than 0 if a = 0 is a
possibility with a > -1?

IF p(n) holds for ALL n>1, then why show that p(n+1) is true? Instead, say that p(k) holds for some n=k. Then show that p(k+1) is true
But you're trying to show that p(n+1) holds, correct?

I hate to be the one asking the obvious, but why not p(n+1)?

But you're trying to show that p(n+1) holds, correct?

I hate to be the one asking the obvious, but why not p(n+1)?
Of course you want to show that p(n+1) is true, but let's replace n with k. So you want to show that p(k+1) is true IF you assume that p(k) is true. The OP assumed that p(k) is true for all k.

Of course you want to show that p(n+1) is true, but let's replace n with k. So you want to show that p(k+1) is true IF you assume that p(k) is true. The OP assumed that p(k) is true for all k.
Ohhhhhh! I get it. So since p(k) was assumed, we will use p(k+1).

How can \(\displaystyle \ a + na^2 \ \) be shown to necessarily be greater than 0 if a = 0 is a
possibility with a > -1?
Your's is good point. However, that actually does not come into the proof.
\(\displaystyle 1)~(1+a)^{k+1}=(1+a)(1+a)^k\\2)~(1+a)^{k+1}\ge(1+a)( 1+k\cdot a)\\3)~(1+a)^{k+1}\ge( 1+k\cdot a+a+k\cdot a^2)\\4)~(1+a)^{k+1}\ge 1+(k+1)\cdot a\)
Going from steps 3) to 4) all that is used is \(\displaystyle k\cdot a^2\ge 0\)