Is this correct?

Philosophia

Hello, first off I want to thank you for any help you can offer. My daughter just wanted to know if her answer is correct? I feel so bad I am not able to help her, I don't even know what kind of Math this is lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5385.jpg
    IMG_5385.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 7
Hello, first off I want to thank you for any help you can offer. My daughter just wanted to know if her answer is correct? I feel so bad I am not able to help her, I don't even know what kind of Math this is lol.
Unfortunately, the student did not write - what needs to be found (calculated/sketched)? Unless that is defined - we cannot check work.

Also please post the picture in correct orientation - my neck hurts!!

… My daughter just [wants] to know if her answer is correct? …
Hi Philosophia. We can't be certain what she was asked to do, without seeing the exercise statement. However, I've looked at the work, and it seems mostly correct. Here are some issues.

The input/output chart for f-1(x) shows the input -1.875 written as -1.88 (don't round it; write the exact value -1.875).

The same chart has the outputs mislabeled as f(x). The label should be f-1(x) (because those inputs/outputs are for the inverse function).

Your daughter correctly wrote the asymptote for f(x). It is the horizontal line y = -2. Was she asked to also write the asymptote for the inverse function? (I don't see it.)

Overall, the work looks good, but please include the given instructions/questions next time. Cheers

PS: I would call this Intermediate Algebra. Some schools might call it Precalculus, but it's still algebra.

?

By the way, if students have access to graphing technology, they can plot a function and its inverse (along with the line y=x) together on the same graph, as a check. When the x-axis and y-axis are set to the same scale, a function and it's inverse generate curves that are symmetrical about the line y=x.

Here's the plot of f(x), f-1(x) and y=x. We see the symmetry, and that confirms the functions are inverses of each other.

invSym.JPG

?