Is this me ? or is this a book error?

RB89

I checked out a book called "Arithmetic the easy way" third edition from my local library and I'm having a problem with a math word problem. Here is the word problem:

"From a board 16ft long a carpenter cuts lengths of 6ft, 5 5/8ft, 2 1/2ft, and 1 11/16ft. How much of the original board remains?" - pg.253

I tried taking away from the 16 foot 6ft then 5 5/8 etc... until I realized that I couldn't come up to an answer. Then I tried adding and I got confused?

Was it because I might have had music playing in my head from my mp3 player?

RB

I checked out a book called "Arithmetic the easy way" third edition from my local library and I'm having a problem with a math word problem. Here is the word problem:

"From a board 16ft long a carpenter cuts lengths of 6ft, 5 5/8ft, 2 1/2ft, and 1 11/16ft. How much of the original board remains?" - pg.253

I tried taking away from the 16 foot 6ft then 5 5/8 etc... until I realized that I couldn't come up to an answer. Then I tried adding and I got confused?

Was it because I might have had music playing in my head from my mp3 player?

RB

I don't see anything wrong with the problem; it does have an answer.

What did you get when you did your subtractions? Your approach is fine. You can start with 16 and just keep subtracting each of the specified lengths.

Alternatively, you can add all the lengths that are to be sawed off, and then subtract that sum from 16 feet.

Please show your work.