Is this percent change right?

onesun0000

I created this question and I'm wondering whether the "same percent change" is right. Chocolate has a 40% increase and vanilla has a 40% decrease. Is it right to say they have the same percent change even if one is increase and the other is decrease?

Here's the question:

The table below shows the number of ice cream flavors sold from June to October. Which flavors have the same percent change between June and September?

item 15 given table.png

a. Cookies and Cream and Vanilla

b. Strawberry and Chocolate

c. Chocolate and Vanilla

d. Vanilla, Cookies and Cream, and Strawberry

I wouldn't consider percent changes of different signs the same no.

With a bit of wording you should be able to convey what you are after in the problem.

I wouldn't consider percent changes of different signs the same no.

With a bit of wording you should be able to convey what you are after in the problem.
If I add "of", like "which flavors have the same percent of change" between June and September, will that make the problem a lot more straightforward and correct?

No. "40% increase" and "40% decrease" are not "the same percent change"! One is a +40% change and the other is a -40% change. +40 and -40 are not the same.

My bad. I attached the wrong table. If I change it to "percent difference", will that be able convey what I am trying to say? My point is that they both changed by the same number (or amount) of percent. Like 5 increased by 4 and 6 decreased by 4. Both changed by the same amount.

Attachments

• item 15 given table.png
    item 15 given table.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 2
You are confusing things by talking about "change" and "percentage change" with little distinction. "5 increased by 4" is 9. In terms of percent, 4 is 80% of 5 so "5 increased by 80%" is 9. "6 decreased by 4" is 2. 4 is 66 and 2/3 % of 6 so "6 decreased by 66 and 2/3 %" is 2.