Is this the correct answer?

RabbitGirl

Hello, I was hoping someone could please help me understand what I'm doing wrong here....the answer I get when I do this is 34325.5, but I'm really not sure that's the correct answer. If anyone can help me please I'd really appreciate it. I love to know what I'm doing wrong here, or if I'm even doing anything wrong. Thank you so much!Image1.jpg

It would be better to show your work! What is \(\displaystyle 262^2\)? What is 5 times 1.4? What do you get when you add those? And, finally, what is that number divided by 2?

(Even without doing much calculation, it is obvious that your answer is wrong! 262 is even so 262 squared is even. 4 times 5 is 20 so 1.4 times 5 is an even integer. The sum of two even integer is even so dividing by 2 will gives an integer!)

Hello, I was hoping someone could please help me understand what I'm doing wrong here....the answer I get when I do this is 34325.5, but I'm really not sure that's the correct answer. If anyone can help me please I'd really appreciate it. I love to know what I'm doing wrong here, or if I'm even doing anything wrong. Thank you so much!View attachment 22001
Are we right in assuming that the "[MATH]x[/MATH]" in the left-hand side is meant to be a multiplication sign, not the variable? If so, your answer is correct. Is there a reason you don't trust it?

(5 times 1.4 is 7, an odd integer.)

Are we right in assuming that the "[MATH]x[/MATH]" in the left-hand side is meant to be a multiplication sign, not the variable? If so, your answer is correct. Is there a reason you don't trust it?

(5 times 1.4 is 7, an odd integer.)

Yes, I was assuming it was a multiplication sign. I distrusted my answer because a friend who is good at math - I am not - said he thought I was wrong. Thank you for the help!

It would be better to show your work! What is \(\displaystyle 262^2\)? What is 5 times 1.4? What do you get when you add those? And, finally, what is that number divided by 2?

(Even without doing much calculation, it is obvious that your answer is wrong! 262 is even so 262 squared is even. 4 times 5 is 20 so 1.4 times 5 is an even integer. The sum of two even integer is even so dividing by 2 will gives an integer!)

I was seeing it as: 262 multiplied by 262 is 68644; 5 multiplied by 1.4 is 7; then adding those two sums together is 68644 plus 7, which is 68651, and dividing 68651 by 2 gives an answer of 34325.5

Thanks for your help!

x has already been solved for, you just computed it’s decimal form, but the form given in the question is valid too. I think you could’ve just handed in the question sheet itself and said “done”