isolating T1

ijd5000

hi,
I can't seem to find a way to solve for T1 in this equation. (from a physics problem)

T1sin(x1)-gm/T1cos(x1)=-tan(x2​)

hi,
I can't seem to find a way to solve for T1 in this equation. (from a physics problem)

T1sin(x1)-gm/T1cos(x1)=-tan(x2​)

Since you have a T1 in the denominator, multiply both sides of the equation by T1. You will end up with a quadratic equation.

Collect all terms on one side of the equation, with 0 on the other. Solve using the Quadratic Formula.

Since you have a T1 in the denominator, multiply both sides of the equation by T1. You will end up with a quadratic equation.

Collect all terms on one side of the equation, with 0 on the other. Solve using the Quadratic Formula.

didn't come up with a squared term so can't use quadratic . did i do something wrong?

didn't come up with a squared term so can't use quadratic . did i do something wrong?

Perhaps you have not used grouping symbols appropriately, and I misunderstood your equation.

As written "T1sin(x1)-gm/T1cos(x1)=-tan(x2​)" means: (T1sin(x1)) - (gm/T1)(cos(x1) = -tan(x2​)

What exactly is your equation?

Regardless, I still don't see how you did not get a quadratic. Please show your work.

Example:
if ax - bc/(ay) = k

then a^2xy - bc = ayk

If you can't follow that, you're not ready for your posted problem.
Good example, because it also shows the importance of grouping. If this were (ax- bc)/ay= k then multiplying each side by ay would bi e ax- bc= ayk.