Joint distribution function & conditional excpected value

Thomas74

Good afternoon, I'm working on my homework, but since I'm not really sure about what I have done, I want somebody to check it for me.
Thank you!

Random vector X=(x1,x2) is created by two independent random variables x1 and x2. Knowing probability distribution functions of these variables, find out: Joint distribution function of x, the expected value (x1,x2), and conditional expected values of (x1|x2).

1640869621643.png

1640869984182.png

a) What do the sum of probabilities of the distribution must equal? You can use this as a check to see if a) is correct
b)The question asking for [imath]E(X_1*X_2)[/imath] not [imath]E(X_1,X_2)[/imath]. The second latter expression doesn't make sense, so no comma. You did set up the solution correctly. Also, since the random variables are independent, then [imath]E[X_1X_2]=E[X_1]E[X_2][/imath]. Try to find [imath]E[X_1]E[X_2][/imath] and see if you get the same answer as a check.
c) Looks fine

Last edited:
a) What do the sum of probabilities of the distribution must equal? You can use this as a check to see if a) is correct
b)The question asking for [imath]E(X_1*X_2)[/imath] not [imath]E(X_1,X_2)[/imath]. The second latter expression doesn't make sense, so no comma. You did set up the solution correctly. Also, since the random variables are independent, then [imath]E[X_1X_2]=E[X_1]E[X_2][/imath]. Try to find [imath]E[X_1]E[X_2][/imath] and see if you get the same answer as a check.
c) Looks fine
a) yes, I think it has to be equal
b) I got the same result by multiplying [imath]E[X_1]E[X_2]= 0.8 X (-0.2)= -0.16 [/imath]
Thank you guys @BigBeachBananas and @blamocur