Joukowski mapping

matt07

Hi, Im currently looking at Joukowski mapping but having difficulty answering one of the questions. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

1. An ellipse of length to beam ratio λ is set with its major axis parallel to a uniform stream of speed U. Show that the maximum flow speed at any point on the surface of the ellipse is U (1 + λ1 ). At what point does this maximum velocity occur? How close to the ellipse can one approach along centreline before the disturbance of the ellipse is less than 1% of the free stream speed for the case λ = 4.

Thanks

Matt

Hi, Im currently looking at Joukowski mapping but having difficulty answering one of the questions. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

1. An ellipse of length to beam ratio λ is set with its major axis parallel to a uniform stream of speed U. Show that the maximum flow speed at any point on the surface of the ellipse is U (1 + λ1 ). At what point does this maximum velocity occur? How close to the ellipse can one approach along centreline before the disturbance of the ellipse is less than 1% of the free stream speed for the case λ = 4.

Thanks

Matt
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/#post-486520

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

Hi, my apologies.

I see that on the major axis it maps to an ellipse of a + 1/a.

The flow around an ellipse is - w=U (z+ a^2 / z)

z is a circle of radius a.

I am just not sure how they get to that maximum flow. I am quite confused by the process.

Thanks

Matt