Key Stage 2 Ratio

Nick1078

Hey everyone, I’m really struggling with this, I can’t get my head round it. Although I’ve drawn it out for the first question and come up with an answer of 18, I just can’t seem to work it out!
Any help would be most appreciated.

Faizel makes cheese wheels
3 in every 5 cheese wheels he makes are soft cheese.
2 in every 10 cheese wheels he makes are blue cheese.
How many wheels of soft and blue cheese are there if he makes:
50 cheese wheels ?
700 cheese wheels ?

Thanks
Nick

Hey everyone, I’m really struggling with this, I can’t get my head round it. Although I’ve drawn it out for the first question and come up with an answer of 18, I just can’t seem to work it out!

50 cheese wheels ?
700 cheese wheels ?

Thanks
Nick
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/#post-486520

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

… I’ve drawn it out for the first question and come up with an answer of 18 …

How many wheels of soft and blue cheese are there if he makes: 50 cheese wheels? 700 cheese wheels? …
Hi Nick. Note that each question requires two answers, so I'm not sure what your 18 represents. (It would have been nice to see your work; that is, your drawing.)

In the first question, Faizel makes 50 cheese wheels. You need to report the number of soft-cheese wheels and the number of blue cheese wheels.

Think of the phrase "3 in every 5" as a ratio. We can write ratios as fractions: 3/5.

Likewise, "2 in every 10" can be thought of as 2/10. That's the same as 1/5.

In other words, every five wheels produced consist of 3 soft-cheese wheels, 1 blue-cheese wheel and 1 wheel of some other type that we don't care about. (We don't care about the third type of cheese because we're not asked anything about it.)

Do the ratios give you any ideas?

?

Hi Nick. Note that each question requires two answers, so I'm not sure what your 18 represents. (It would have been nice to see your work; that is, your drawing.)

In the first question, Faizel makes 50 cheese wheels. You need to report the number of soft-cheese wheels and the number of blue cheese wheels.

Think of the phrase "3 in every 5" as a ratio. We can write ratios as fractions: 3/5.

Likewise, "2 in every 10" can be thought of as 2/10. That's the same as 1/5.

In other words, every five wheels produced consist of 3 soft-cheese wheels, 1 blue-cheese wheel and 1 wheel of some other type that we don't care about. (We don't care about the third type of cheese because we're not asked anything about it.)

Do the ratios give you any ideas?

?
Never occurred to me to change it into the same ’denominator ‘ for it now thank you.

50 cheeses in total
4:5 = 40 cheeses.

4:5
560 cheeses....

Thank You

… 50 cheeses in total
4:5 = 40 cheeses

700 [cheeses in total]
4:5 = 560 cheeses....
Ah, we read the question differently, Nick. ("How many wheels of soft and bleu cheese are there?")

You read it to mean the total wheels combined. I'd read it as asking for the total wheels of each kind. You're probably correct. Good job.

:)

50 cheese wheels ?
700 cheese wheels ?

Thanks
Nick

In 50 cheeses there are 10 5s so 10(3)= 30 soft cheeses.
In 50 cheeses there are 5 10s so 5(2)= 10 blue cheeses.
Of course that means there are 10 other kinds of cheese.

Same thing for 700.
In 700 cheeses there are 700/5= 140 5s so 140(3)= 420 soft cheeses.
In 700 cheeses there are 700/10= 70 10s so 70(2)= 140 blue cheeses.
Of course that means there are 140 other kinds of cheeses.

(We could see from the start that there must be other types of cheeses: 3/5+ 2/10= 6/10+ 2/10= 8/10, not 1. In fact since 1- 8/10= 2/10, the number of "other kinds of cheeses" must be the same as the number of blue cheeses.)