Life expectancy calculation

wdc202

I know (based on insurance data) that the life expectancy of a 70-year old male (with certain characteristics) is 85. Given a group of 100 members, all with these same characteristics, what is the expected time duration (in months) before I can expect the first death?

Can someone answer the question or refer me to an internet site that can/might solve it for me?

Thanks. ..... wdc202

I know (based on insurance data) that the life expectancy of a 70-year old male (with certain characteristics) is 85. Given a group of 100 members, all with these same characteristics, what is the expected time duration (in months) before I can expect the first death?

Can someone answer the question or refer me to an internet site that can/might solve it for me?
You'd also need to know something about the distribution of deaths. Do you at least know the standard deviation? That will have a significant effect.

It has been a long, long time since I looked at a life expectancy table, but, if I remember correctly, you can compute probabilities from it directly and easily. It is what it is designed to do.The next time tkhunny drops by, he can give you a correct answer. I have not seen him recently, but he will be able to answer any question on this topic.