Limits Calculus Problem

zedster

i tried to factor 7-2 x and got -1/2+7/2(-2 x+7)

How do i solve this? is the limit infinity?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 22
1-png.21601

the limit of the rational, second term is the ratio of the leading coefficients, i.e. -1/2

the limit of the first term, [math]\cos{x}[/math] , as [math]x \to -\infty[/math] does not exist (why?)

so, what does that say about the overall limit?

You ask if the limit is infinity (or any other value). Why not just evaluate the expression with x = 100,000,000 (a large number).

That is calculate cos(100,000,000) + 100,000,000/(7-2*100,000,000). What do you get? The limit will be close to that. Now go and try to figure out how to get the correct answer. Remember that cos x will simply fluctuate between -1 and 1 so keep that in mind when you calculate cos(100,000,000).

Do you seriously want to ask only about 7- 2x? Yes, it should be obvious that will go to infinity as x goes to negative infinity. But the numerator, x, also goes to infinity and "infinity over infinity" is indeterminate.

With x going to infinity or negative infinity, a standard trick is to divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x. That way, every "x" becomes "1/x" which goes to 0 as x goes to inifnity. And "0" is much easier to work with!

For the fraction \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{7- 2x}\) divide both numerator and denominator by x so (as long as x is not 0 which is not a problem with x going to negative infinity) it becomes \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\frac{7}{x}- 2}\). Now, what happens to \(\displaystyle \frac{7}{x}\) as x goes to negative infiity?