Limits (coming up with functions that exist and don't exist)

jules660

Please help me figure out this question. I'm not sure if I need to come up with a composite function or a piecewise function or what?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 1.25.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 1.25.51 PM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 7
Please help me figure out this question. I'm not sure if I need to come up with a composite function or a piecewise function or what?

1600285832569.png
It might be any sort of function; you may find that a composite function or a piecewise function seems like a good thing to look for, but that is not immediately clear. I wouldn't start with that question.

What I would tend to do here is to think backward. Let's say that h(x) = f(x)g(x); then f(x) = h(x)/g(x). So (a) becomes:

Find an example of two functions g and h such that lim g(x) and lim h(x) exist, but lim h(x)/g(x) does not exist.​

What might make h(x)/g(x) not have a limit?

For (a) take g(x)= x and f(x)= 1/x, a= 0. \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} g(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} x= 0\) and \(\displaystyle \lim_{x= 0} g(x)f(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} 1= 1\) but \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} f(x)\) does not exist.

For (b) reverse those, taking g(x)= 1/x, f(x)= x. Then \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} f(x)= 0\), \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \lim_{x\to 0} x^2= 0\) but \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} g(x)\) does not exist.

(It is not a question of the functions "existing or not existing" but the limits.)

For (a) take g(x)= x and f(x)= 1/x, a= 0. \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} g(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} x= 0\) and \(\displaystyle \lim_{x= 0} g(x)f(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} 1= 1\) but \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} f(x)\) does not exist.

For (b) reverse those, taking g(x)= 1/x, f(x)= x. Then \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} f(x)= 0\), \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \lim_{x\to 0} x^2= 0\) but \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} g(x)\) does not exist.

(It is not a question of the functions "existing or not existing" but the limits.)
Thank you so so much!