Limits problem?

No matter what x equals, as long as x is not 0, x/x is the constant 1.

The limit you posted means that x is never 0. x may get very close to 0, but x will never equal 0.

What if x/x was replaced with 1, what would you think the limit equals?

The statement that [imath]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to A} (x) = B[/imath]
means that for each [imath]x\sim A[/imath] , [imath] x\ne A[/imath] then [imath]f(x)\sim B[/imath]
That reads: if x is close to A but not A then f(x) is close to B.
Now please answer your own question.

You can always do this while evaluating limits

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} 1 = 1, \ x \neq 0 \).

A similar example is

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \frac{x - 1}{x - 1} = \lim_{x \to 1} 1 = 1, \ x \neq 1 \).

No it is not a special rule. There is a ton of mystification about limits.

INFORMALLY, if f(x) = x/x, f(x) does not exist if x = 0. Define g(x) = 1. That is defined everywhere. Moreover g(x) = f(x) for all x if not x not equal to 0.

Now apply the formal definition of limit.

Yes, it is a special limit, then again all limits are special.

x/x = 1, if x is not 0. So you can replace x/x with 1.

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} 1 = 1 \)
A constant never varies even as x changes.[/tex]

So the limit is equal to one because as long as x is not zero it’d always equal to one and so we can say that if x is zero it wouldn’t equal to one, instead it approaches one.
Am I correct?
There are two formal definitions of limit, one due to Weierstrass (standard) and one due to Robinson (non-standard), I am not familiar with Robinson’s approach.

Here is the more standard approach

[math]\text {If for ANY positive number } \epsilon, \exist \ \delta \text { such that}[/math]
[math]\delta \ne 0 \text { and } |x - c| < \delta \implies |L - f(x)| < \epsilon,[/math]
[math]\text {then the limit of } f(x) \text { as } x \text { approaches } c \text { is } L.[/math]
If you think about what that means, you will see that it means that if x is not far from c, f(x) is not far from L. The formal presentation is very abstract and took decades to develop. But the intuition is simple, the closer x gets to c, the closer f(x) gets to L, the limit.

Let’s apply that to this example.

[math]|x \ne 0 \implies |f(x) - 1| = |1 - 1| = |0| = 0 < \text { any positive number.}[/math]
So 1 is the limit. This is a very simple example. They can get mind bendingly complex, but the intuition is simple.

There are two formal definitions of limit, one due to Weierstrass (standard) and one due to Robinson (non-standard), I am not familiar with Robinson’s approach.

Here is the more standard approach

[math]\text {If for ANY positive number } \epsilon, \exist \ \delta \text { such that}[/math]
[math]\delta \ne 0 \text { and } |x - c| < \delta \implies |L - f(x)| < \epsilon,[/math]
[math]\text {then the limit of } f(x) \text { as } x \text { approaches } c \text { is } L.[/math]
If you think about what that means, you will see that it means that if x is not far from c, f(x) is not far from L. The formal presentation is very abstract and took decades to develop. But the intuition is simple, the closer x gets to c, the closer f(x) gets to L, the limit.

Let’s apply that to this example.

[math]|x \ne 0 \implies |f(x) - 1| = |1 - 1| = |0| = 0 < \text { any positive number.}[/math]
you put "1" for c, does that mean c is always "1"? Where did c = 1 come from?

No, sorry but what you're saying is not true. In one place you put it for the limit of f(x) and in another place you put it for f(x).
if i had said when x aproaches 0, the limit of f(x) when x approaches 0 is "1", would that be correct?

if i had said when x aproaches 0, the limit of f(x) when x approaches 0 is "1", would that be correct?
Yes, a bit redundant, but you have it.

I might put it into English like this

As x approaches 0, f(x) = x/x approaches or equals 1, which is the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0.

It is important to realize that, in standard analysis, x must not equal what it is approaching, but f(x) may equal the limit.

It is subtle definition and takes a while to get comfortable with.