Limits

Uziha

Hello, would you please help me calculate the limit of ((1/n)-1)^n Thanks

Hello, would you please help me calculate the limit of ((1/n)-1)^n Thanks
[imath]\left[\dfrac{1}{n}-1\right]^n[/imath] you did not say what [imath]n\to~?[/imath]

Hi it is infinity
Now please show us what you have tried, so we can see what methods you are using, and where you need help.

You are not yet following the rules:

I think that ((1/n)-1)^n = ((1/n)-1)^1 * ((1/n)-1)^(n-1) = -1 * e = -e. Because (n-1) seems to me like moving the series of numbers. Thank you.

Let y = [imath]\left[\dfrac{1}{n}-1\right]^n[/imath]

Then ln y = [imath]n\ln\left[\dfrac{1}{n}-1\right][/imath]
Now compute the limit of both sides

Can you also confirm that you posted the correct problem?

I think that ((1/n)-1)^n = ((1/n)-1)^1 * ((1/n)-1)^(n-1) = -1 * e = -e. Because (n-1) seems to me like moving the series of numbers. Thank you.
Have you noticed that (1/n)-1 is a negative number, so that raising it to the nth power results in alternating signs?

What does that tell you about the limit?

This suggests either that the problem was intended to be something different, as @Jomo has hinted, or that you are missing the obvious (which will become all the more obvious if you follow Jomo's suggestion!). You noticed the -1; that should have been a warning sign.

I think I understand. If so, the numbers 1 and -1 are the limits.

I think I understand. If so, the numbers 1 and -1 are the limits.
Are you familiar with the epsilon-delta definition of a limit? A limit is what the functional value approaches--it gets closer and closer to that value=limit. Does this align with your answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I am familiar with the definition, and according to what was written, now I can understand that there are no limits, but there are partial limits with the number -e and e. Thank you.

Can you define partial limits as I am unfamiliar with that term?

Can you define partial limits as I am unfamiliar with that term?
Partial means 2 subsequences of the original sequence
That is not really a mathematical definition. But the term has come up here before, and I found then that it is used occasionally. Here is one book containing a definition. The same definition is given on page 5 here, with a definition of the word "frequently" as used in it. A clearer definition is found on page 22 here.

L is a partial limit of (xn) if for every neighborhood U of L, (xn) is frequently in U.
What the heck does frequently mean?!

The clearer definition from Dr Peterson's link is much clearer than the other definition.

To OP, I am sorry thinking that the phrase partial limit does not exist. It's not common at all and it is the first time I ever heard of it.

To OP, I am sorry thinking that the phrase partial limit does not exist. It's not common at all and it is the first time I ever heard of it.
Actually, you've seen it at least once before:

Of course, I only found that by searching for the term; I didn't recall this page explicitly! And the fact that it was on the first page of hits suggests how rare the term is!

L is a partial limit of (xn) if for every neighborhood U of L, (xn) is frequently in U.
What the heck does frequently mean?!
As I mentioned, my second like includes a definition of "frequently", prior to using it! Presumably the book had also done so earlier, but I didn't look.