Line integrals

burt

I've been working on a line integral, and I got a negative answer. Does this make sense?
Here is the question and my work.
1589319430092.png

What happens if you use u = cos(t)?

What if t goes from 0 to pi/2? Try it with u=sin(x) AND u = cos(x).

What results are you getting from these 4 methods?

I've been working on a line integral, and I got a negative answer. Does this make sense?
Here is the question and my work.
View attachment 18768
Looking at this more closely, although this specifically says "line integral", so that we would normally expect "ds", the differential of arc length, here it says "dy"! If that is not a typo then instead of \(\displaystyle ds= \sqrt{4(sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t))}dt\) you should have \(\displaystyle dy= 2 cos(t)dt\).

If that is correct then the integral should be
\(\displaystyle \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi 3(2cos(t))(2 sin(t))(2 cos(t)dt)= \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi 24 cos^2(t)sin(t)dt\)
To integrate that let \(\displaystyle u= cos(t)\) so that \(\displaystyle du= -sin(t)dt\) and the integral becomes
\(\displaystyle -24\int_0^{-1} u^2 du= 24\int_{-1}^0 u^2du= \left[8 u^3\right]_{-1}^0= 8\).

Looking at this more closely, although this specifically says "line integral", so that we would normally expect "ds", the differential of arc length, here it says "dy"! If that is not a typo then instead of \(\displaystyle ds= \sqrt{4(sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t))}dt\) you should have \(\displaystyle dy= 2 cos(t)dt\).

If that is correct then the integral should be
\(\displaystyle \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi 3(2cos(t))(2 sin(t))(2 cos(t)dt)= \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^\pi 24 cos^2(t)sin(t)dt\)
To integrate that let \(\displaystyle u= cos(t)\) so that \(\displaystyle du= -sin(t)dt\) and the integral becomes
\(\displaystyle -24\int_0^{-1} u^2 du= 24\int_{-1}^0 u^2du= \left[8 u^3\right]_{-1}^0= 8\).
So instead of putting the arc length in, I should put in the derivative of y?
Does that mean this is not really a line integral?