Linear algebra : how to transform a vector equation into a line equation

mnaceypantsey

Please let me know if there is a special forum for linear algebra - otherwise any help is appreciated !!
Say I've got the vector eqn : v = <-4,-1> + t<-1.4>, and I need to find the equation y=mx+b for the line defined by this vector eqn. How do I go about this?

Say I've got the vector eqn : v = <-4,-1> + t<-1.4>, and I need to find the equation y=mx+b for the line defined by this vector eqn. How do I go about this?
The equation of the line is [imath]\ell(t)=(-4+t,-1+4t)[/imath]
Note that when [imath]t=0[/imath] then [imath]\ell(0)=(-4,-1)[/imath] is a point on the line.
Another point is [imath]\ell(1)[/imath] so now we can find the slope. What is its standard equation?

Please let me know if there is a special forum for linear algebra - otherwise any help is appreciated !!
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Another approach is to write x and y in terms of t, and eliminate t from the two equations.