Linear algebra - matrix equation

AncientOne455

I tried to solve this matrix equasion but i don't even know where to start solving.
We are given a matrix equasion (picture).
Questions are folowing:
a) For what parameter a has matrix equasion solution?
b) Define matrix X if parameter a=1

Solutions for this problems are:
a) a ≠ 7/2
b) X = 1/5 [2X2] a11= 7, a12=-1, a21=-3, a22=-1
I don't understand this equasion because i can't get X on only one side, pls help, thanks very much.

Attachments

• 20190418_011425.jpg
    20190418_011425.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 16
Did you try letting X= be an arbitrary 2x2 matrix. Do you see why it needs to be 2x2?. Then try to solve for X.

You can't make it arbitrary on one side thats the problem.
What do you mean by "on one side"?

Let \(\displaystyle X = \left [ \begin{matrix} b & c \\ d & e \end{matrix} \right ] \)

Now plug that into your equation.

-Dan

... i can't get X on only one side ...
Hello AncientOne455. We cannot solve for X that way because X is a matrix. In other words, we cannot use beginning-algebra steps to isolate X. We need a linear-algebra approach.

When Jomo suggested using an arbitrary matrix for X, he wasn't talking about a random matrix. He meant a symbolic matrix (like the matrix shown by topsquark, in post #5). Matrix X contains four unknown elements, and you're asked to find them, so you need to pick four different symbols to represent those unknowns.

When I substitute the symbolic matrix X from post #5 into the given equation, followed by completing the two matrix multiplications, I get a system of four linear equations containing four variables (b,c,d,e) and one parameter (the constant a).

An augmented-coefficient matrix for that system is:

\(\displaystyle \left[ \begin{matrix} 2-a & -1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 2-a & -1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & -1 \end{matrix} \right]\)

Putting that matrix into reduced row echelon form gives the solutions for b,c,d,e in terms of a.

For example: b = (2a - 9)/(2a - 7)

If you would like more help, please show the work you've done so far. Cheers

?

I suspect that when the OP said i can't get X on only one side the OP meant that there was no way to factor out X.
The OP wanted something like AX +BX=b =>(A+B)X =b so X = (A+B)-1b (if of course A+B was invertible)

I suspect that when the OP said i can't get X on only one side the OP meant that there was no way to factor out X.
The OP wanted something like AX +BX=b =>(A+B)X =b so X = (A+B)-1b (if of course A+B was invertible)
On the other hand, I taught a course in linear algebra ever third semester for of twenty years, but I have absolutely no idea what this post is about.

... I have absolutely no idea what [post #7] is about.
I think Jomo is speculating that the OP initially wanted to isolate X by factoring the form AX-XB as (A-B)X but then realized that it can't be done (matrix multiplication is not commutative) and hence the OP posted, "I can't get X on only one side".

Of course, I'm just speculating.

?

Yes, i tried to isolate X to only one side of the equasion, but it can't be done that way, you need other trick to solve matrix X.