Linear Equations, Please help!!!

G

Who do I tell if an equation is a linear equation and How do I graph it?

Linear equations can take several forms:

Visit Wikipedia to see them

Linear equations never have more than first degree polynomials (aka no x^2, xy, etc.)

An example would be 3x+4y=12.

Graphing them simply involves getting the y's on one side, and the x's on the other. Then, plug in x values and find their corresponding y's. Plot these on the graph in their correct coordinates and voila!

If the Equation Isn't set up like y=mx +B Then its not a linear equation? Like Y=-X isn't, and Y=12+2X is?
And what about the graphing? If you are only given Y=4X+3 How do you graph it?

Ok, I really need help!
if Y=4x+3
Then do I put in a one for x and then solve?
y=4(1)=3
y=4+3
Y=7
(1,7) And then graph that and put in a two or is that wrong?

Alexis said:
If the Equation Isn't set up like y=mx +B Then its not a linear equation? Like Y=-X isn't, and Y=12+2X is?
And what about the graphing? If you are only given Y=4X+3 How do you graph it?

Like I said, Wikipedia shows FOUR forms for linear equations. Y=Mx+B is simply one form. Y-Y1=M(X-X1) is another form known as point-slope, and there are two other forms.

I answered your question on how to graph such an equation in my first response. With y=4x+3, plug in an X value, try 1. Plugging it in we get 4(1)+3=7. The coordinate system is then (1,7) Do this with x-value 2, 3, and 4 etc. until you get the idea of the line.

EDIT: I just read your other response. Yes, you have it correct.

Thanks, I'm sorry i'm being so stupid but i was out sick to day and I got the work from a friend and this is only the ffourth day of school. But i'm still having a problem with whether the equation is a linear eqation. I went to the site and it didn't help. I think I got it but... I don't think i have it at the same time. I think we are only doing the simple form right now so i think I should just stick to that.

Alexis said:
Thanks...But i'm still having a problem with whether the equation is a linear eqation.
Please review the explanation provided earlier:

Euler said:
Linear equations never have more than first degree polynomials (aka no x<sup>2</sup>, xy, etc.)
Euler provided a fairly straight-forward explanation of what a linear equation is, and most would probably explain "linear equation" in similar terms. So please reply with clarification of which part of this you do not understand. Thank you.

Eliz.

I did look the explanation over. I think I got it like I said I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.