Linear Function

danette

Suppose your dog weighed 1.6pounds at birth and weighed 14 pounds one year later. Based on these two data points, find a linear function that describes how weight varies with age. Use this function to predict your dog's weight at 4 and 11 years of age. Comment on the validity of this model.
The equation used to model this situation is ?, where w is the weight of the dog in pounds and t is time in years.

Where are you having trouble?

Do you recognize this as finding the equation of the line passing through the points (0, 1.6) and (1, 14)? There are at least two main ways that are taught for doing this (the point-slope formulas and solving for the y-intercept), so we'll want to see what method you have been taught.

Please read and follow our submission guidelines!

Okay, we'll need to know what you have learned, in order to provide the most effective help. What DO you know, that we can start with?

(I just looked at the other questions you've submitted, and they seem to range from absolute beginner to topics you'd learn in a second or third course in algebra. Maybe it will help if you tell us what courses you have taken, and where the questions come from.)

Can you copy an example of writing the equation of a line from your textbook, and tell us anything you have trouble understanding there?

This is my first ever algebra class and I feel that I am being thrown into a secondary course and not a beginner. I have never had algebra before so I am at a total loss for what I am supposed to be doing. I am currently failing the course.

If, as your other questions suggest, you are being given both basic linear equations and exponential and logarithmic functions, the course is clearly not meant for you (or maybe for anyone). You should talk to your teacher and ask what alternatives there are. Struggling through a course you have not been prepared for is not going to help anyone. You need time to absorb the basics.

As for getting help here, rather than submit a lot of questions at once, maybe you should focus on the more basic questions, one at a time, so we can try to help you gain confidence in the basics (things like solving simple equations and recognizing the slope of a line).

It may help if you can tell us a little more about yourself. What grade are you in? How were you put in this course? What other courses are there that you could be taking? (I have seen community college students misplaced because they happened to do well on a placement exam and didn't want to admit it was just "luck" - bad luck, actually.)