Linear transformation of a matrix

mikewill54

Hi
Im working through some old exam problems in preparation for an exam. And I’ve got no idea how to approach the following question, I’m hoping someone can help
Thanks
Mike8BB6D883-F7A7-441F-ABD5-082750491DD0.jpeg

Hi
Im working through some old exam problems in preparation for an exam. And I’ve got no idea how to approach the following question, I’m hoping someone can help
Thanks
MikeView attachment 28537
What do you "think" is the correct response and Why?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

I’ve got no idea how to approach [this question]
Hi Mike. I'd sketch a couple vectors (added) and apply the transformation (i.e., do the matrix multiplication with each vector, to obtain the new vectors) and sketch that too. Then I'd compare the resulting triangles' shapes, positions and orientations.

?

Hi
Thanks for the replies… what do you mean by matrices (added) I can’t find my notes. I’ve just managed to dig out some old exam papers. Vectors and matrices are the only things that I’m having trouble with. I know the top left number gives an x scaling, top right an x shearing. Then the bottom left gives a y shering and bottom right gives a y scaling.
Regards
Mike

I would sketch the unit square, ie the square joining A(0,0), B(1,0), C(1,1) and D(0,1). Apply the matrix to each of the position vectors of this square and see what the resulting figure A'B'C'D' is.

Hi
How would I describe this from the options. There’s a reflection in the y-axis but it’s also been stretched in the x axis by 4 and sheared from what I can tell. Like I said I’ve lost the notes on these so I’m struggling a bit

Attachments

• D8899CAC-C4E5-47A6-973D-08A40F0A8C3E.jpeg
    D8899CAC-C4E5-47A6-973D-08A40F0A8C3E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
It's not simply a reflection, rotation or flattening, so you can cross out the first three options.
Label your original square ABCD. Label the image of A as A', etc. Then you will see if orientation is preserved or reversed.

Also, your tranformation matrix should be on the left of your position vector, otherwise the multiplication is not possible.

Another thing... the sign of the determinant of the matrix will tell you if the orientation is preserved or reversed.
If det > 0, orientation is preserved.
If det < 0, orientation is reversed.

Isn’t this just a flattening?

Attachments

• C8E2B8AA-2910-472D-84AA-B41140BAB59C.jpeg
    C8E2B8AA-2910-472D-84AA-B41140BAB59C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
what do you mean by matrices (added)
Sketching is a graphical approach. An easy, arbitrary sketch could be a pair of 2D vectors added: that would graph as a second arrow positioned with its tail at the head of the first arrow. The transformed sketch provides an opportunity to compare the resulting triangles.

Sketching the cat's unit square and its transformation is an alternative to what I had in mind.

?

Thanks for the heads up on the points… I’ve still got no idea what kind of transformation it is or how I interpret it. Any help is greatly appreciated

7B5DA567-7264-4950-989A-5C3D98C72B1A.jpeg

is there an example online somewhere of what you mean by this
“I'd sketch a couple vectors (added) and apply the transformation”
Like I said I’ve lost the notes on matrices and I can’t find much online about this.
Thanks

is there an example online somewhere of what you mean by this “I'd sketch a couple vectors (added) and apply the transformation”
Yes, and it's basically what you've already done with the cat's unit square (graphing it, expressing the sides as vectors, applying matrix/vector multiplication to obtain the transformed vectors' components and graphing them).

If your request is about adding a pair of 2D vectors graphically (by positioning representative arrows head-to-tail), where the sum is a third vector that completes a triangle, then you may google keywords like how to add 2D vectors graphically. I know the linear algebra section at both khan academy and mathispower4u contain a number of videos on that topic.

I’ve lost the notes on matrices and I can’t find much online
For general lessons about linear transformations, such as those mentioned in your practice exercise, try googling keywords linear transformation examples matrix vector reflection rotation shearing orientation. You may need to peruse several sites, to cover everything; that's been my experience, when searching for well-presented information online covering a broad topic.

?

You may find this page helpful, as a basic intro.

Also, have you calculated the determinant of the transformation matrix, as suggested by the cat in post #9? I think that narrows the exercise choices to one.

?