Linking Geometry and Trig

brit2011

My teacher gave us a worksheet to link geometry to trigonometry. It is in the following attachment because I thought it would be helpful to see the circles. I was able to figure out the first problem, but after that I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Any help?

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 227
brit2011 said:
My teacher gave us a worksheet to link geometry to trigonometry. It is in the following attachment because I thought it would be helpful to see the circles. I was able to figure out the first problem, but after that I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Any help?

?OAK ~ ?OTA because of AA Similarity Theorem. Both triangles have angle theta (I'll use ø for theta), and both triangles have a right angle.

Then, because corresponding sides of similar triangles are proportional, AB/TA = OB/OA. So TA = AB • OA/OB = 1 • sin ø/cos ø = tan ø.

By using other proportions with similar triangles, you can get the other trigonometric values.

so would this be right to prove that TO is sec theta (idk how to write theta):
TO/OA=OA/OB. TO=OA x OA/OB. TO= 1 x 1/costheta. since 1/costheta is sec TO is sectheta.

alright thanks! i have one more question. it asks us to find the measure of angle COA. i know that angle COT is a right angle so in theory you would just subtract theta from 90, but how do i know what theta is?