ln [(3x+1)/x^2+2)] please help!

Toshiba

ln [(3x+1)/x^2+2)] I have been trying to solve this question for some time now but i cannot get the correct answer can someone help guide me through it??

Thank You

It would help if we knew what to do with it. Integrate?. Derivative?.

1) Check your notation. Do you REALLY mean ln[(3x+1)/x^2+2] or do you mean ln[(3x+1)/(x^2+2)]? It is VERY different.

2) You may wish to use rules of logarithms to simplify your life: ln[(3x+1)/(x^2+2)] = ln(3x+1) - ln(x^2+2)

Let's see what you get.

Yes!! you are right I totaly forgot about that :s silly me so this is what I did:
ln(3x+1) - ln(x^2+2)
= 3/(3x+1) - 2x/(x^2+1)
=3(x^2+1) - 2x(3x+1)/ (3x+1)(x^2+2)
and then some simple multiplication.....
and i got the answer :))))

but i have a similar questions now and this dosent seem to work or any other thing I try i know this might be a bit silly because its similar but im going to go crazy if I cant figure it out can you help me?? the question is

y=ln(5x+1/x) this is exactly how it is......
and it ask agian to find dy/dx can you help me get on the right track???

Thank You

y=ln(5x+1/x) this is exactly how it is......
and it ask agian to find dy/dx can you help me get on the right track???

\(\displaystyle \L\\y=ln(5x+\frac{1}{x})\)

I reckon this is what they mean.

Chain rule, \(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\cdot\frac{du}{dx}\).

Let \(\displaystyle \L\\u=5x+\frac{1}{x}\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{d}{du}[ln(u)]=\frac{1}{u}=\frac{dy}{du}\)

But \(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{du}{dx}=5-\frac{1}{x^{2}}\)

So:

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{5-\frac{1}{x^{2}}}{5x+\frac{1}{x}}=\frac{5x^{2}-1}{x(5x^{2}+1)}\)

yes thats it! it was shortly explained in my book but the wording was so confusing..i now understand.. but how did u get from (5-1/x^2)/(5x+1/x) to your final answer?

Since you're in calculus, you shouldn't have any trouble seeing where that came from. The biggest problem with calc is the algebra. :cry: