Logo (the Pythagorean theorem on the logo is wrong it's supposed to be a2 + b2 = c2)

LL345

So I'm looking at this freemathhelp logo and I happened to notice that the Pythagorean theorem on the logo is wrong it's supposed to be a2 + b2 = c2

So I'm looking at this freemathhelp logo and I happened to notice that the Pythagorean theorem on the logo is wrong it's supposed to be a2 + b2 = c2
Does it say anywhere that the equation \(\displaystyle a^2\times b^2=c^2\) is meant to be an expression of Pythagoras' Theorem?
Neither is there anything in the logo to confirm that the triangle above that equation is definitely a right-angled triangle!
Please submit any such further complaints to "The Man@in the moon.com".
Thank you.

Idk looks pretty 90° to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It seems like you just came up with an excuse for bad logo design.

Last edited:
Idk looks pretty 90° to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It seems like you just came up with an excuse for bad logo design.
Looks can be deceiving and I did ask that you address any further such comments to the moon.
Please Drop it!

The pythagorean theorem is NOT a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Who told you that? I would never tell my students that. For the record, it is hyp^2 = leg^2 + leg^2.

The pythagorean theorem is NOT a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Who told you that? I would never tell my students that. For the record, it is hyp^2 = leg^2 + leg^2.
Actually, I agree with LL345. This is because if you say leg^2 + leg^2, it will seem like both sides are ALWAYS the same, which is definitely not the case. Also the official theorem states c^2 = a^2 + b^2 as b and a mark specific legs. I hope you are careful and are clarifying this when teaching your students.

Actually, I agree with LL345. This is because if you say leg^2 + leg^2, it will seem like both sides are ALWAYS the same, which is definitely not the case. Also the official theorem states c^2 = a^2 + b^2 as b and a mark specific legs. I hope you are careful and are clarifying this when teaching your students.
So what happens when you have a right triangle whose sides are a, b and c where c is NOT the side of the hypotenuse. Will you still use a^2+b^2=c^2?? Good luck if you keep being told by your teacher that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and the sides are labelled x, y and z. What happens if the sides are not labelled with letters? That is what will you do if you given a right triangle where two sides are 4 and 7 and you are asked to find the third side.
a^2 + b^2 = c^2 is not the way to remember this formula UNLESS you know that c represents the hypotenuse. As a teacher you need to make it clear to your students that a triangle has two legs. Everybody knows that a (right) triangle has three sides and one of them is called the hypotenuse. The other two sides are called the legs.

Seriously, if you only knew that a^2+b^2=c^2 for a right triangle, then how would you handle a problem that didn't label the sides the only way that you know it (as a, b, c).

I might be sounding upset but it is not against you. I just get ill whenever I hear a teacher always saying (and just saying) that a^2 + b^2 = c^2.
It is just like when a teacher has their students repeat in class that a negative and a positive is a negative. That is simple NOT true. For example, a negative PLUS a positive is not always negative. The correct statement is that a negative TIMES (or divided by) a positive is a negative.

I never paid attention to the formula in the logo but I must agree with the claim - it is misleading. The fact that it is right below the apparent right triangle, plus the variables used are typical ones used in Pythagoras formula makes it all very suggestive. Yet the formula is wrong from this stand point.

So what happens when you have a right triangle whose sides are a, b and c where c is NOT the side of the hypotenuse. Will you still use a^2+b^2=c^2?? Good luck if you keep being told by your teacher that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and the sides are labelled x, y and z. What happens if the sides are not labelled with letters? That is what will you do if you given a right triangle where two sides are 4 and 7 and you are asked to find the third side.
a^2 + b^2 = c^2 is not the way to remember this formula UNLESS you know that c represents the hypotenuse. As a teacher you need to make it clear to your students that a triangle has two legs. Everybody knows that a (right) triangle has three sides and one of them is called the hypotenuse. The other two sides are called the legs.

Seriously, if you only knew that a^2+b^2=c^2 for a right triangle, then how would you handle a problem that didn't label the sides the only way that you know it (as a, b, c).

I might be sounding upset but it is not against you. I just get ill whenever I hear a teacher always saying (and just saying) that a^2 + b^2 = c^2.
It is just like when a teacher has their students repeat in class that a negative and a positive is a negative. That is simple NOT true. For example, a negative PLUS a positive is not always negative. The correct statement is that a negative TIMES (or divided by) a positive is a negative.
i think i am very capable of recognizing when i need to use this formula. you can interchange a and b because of the properties of multiplication and in a right triangle to hypotenuse (c) is very, very clear.

i think i am very capable of recognizing when i need to use this formula. you can interchange a and b because of the properties of multiplication and in a right triangle to hypotenuse (c) is very, very clear.
Great. I am impressed. Now what happens when you replace a and c?

I agree that the equation on the logo is wrong as it was meant to be a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

Although there are some fonts write the plus symbol like the multiplication symbol, it is not the case here.

I just have a question to people who don't agree with us. What will be your excuses when we ask the designer and he/she confesses that the equation was supposed to be a^2 + b^2 = c^2?

🤔