Looking to get a jump on future studies...

daon

Okay, I am a junior undergraduate in CS & Mathematics and I want to be prepared for some future classes that I may find difficult.

I am currently signed up in the fall for Real Analysis I and Modern Algebra I (among other classes). I have a strong background in Calculus, but don't have much of a background in Statistics or Geometry. I am looking for some easy-to-read material that I can study over the summer that will make these two classes easier for me (I have heard they were very difficult). I have only taken one proofs class so far, and I feel weak in this area although I do understnad the basic proof methods.

Which textbooks, guides, websites might I find beneficial? I'm asking here instead of browsing Amazon.com for reviews because the reviews are usually made by professors or graduate students who obviously have more understanding of the subject than I do. I would also appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

Thanks!
Daon

I'm not sure what stats and geometry have to do with analysis, Daon.

Anyway (if I may talk real analysis), I do find Rudin's book quite good. The library here (as I'd imagine any descent university's is) has many excellent texts; there's probably little difference between most of them, but I've worked with Rudin over this present break and ahead of lectures before quite successfully - it is a gradual thing, of course.

However, I tend to learn by writing, so having a book that isn't necessarily easy-to-read doesn't bother me. That and I spend far too much time on it (when I should be writing out lab reports!), and Pka, et al are a good help.

We haven't tackled calculus (in the analysis course) yet but Spivak's book, which I've only skimmed through, looks more nicely layed-out, as you may prefer.

As I mentioned, check out your uni's library. Then you can see for yourself without having to pay anything.

If you can read German, on the other hand, then I can gladly get some references for you from my lecturer!