Make milk by dissolving cream

coo1guy

Let's say I have cream with 35% fat and I want to improvise some milk out of it with 3.5% fat

Could someone tell me the equation for the amount of water I need to add do dissolve the cream down to milk?

Thanks

Hi

Imagine you start with 100ml of cream.
That means 35ml is fat.
If [math]x[/math] is the total amount of liquid you end up with,
[math]35/x = 3.5[/math]So this means x = 1000 in this case, and then you subtract your original amount of liquid (100ml).
You can just do (0.35 X your amount of cream)/0.035 subtract your amount of cream to find out how much water to add.

Suppose you have L liters of cream. Then you have 0.35 L of fat. You want to increase the volume (by adding water) to L' so that the amount of fat in it is 0.035L'. Since adding water does not change the amount of fat, you want 0.035L'= 0.35L.

Divide both sides by 0.035 to get L'= 10L. That means that the L' to be 10 times as large as L. Since you already had L liters of cream you need to add 9 liters of water. You must add nine times as much water as you had cream.

Let's say I have cream with 35% fat and I want to improvise some milk out of it with 3.5% fat

Could someone tell me the equation for the amount of water I need to add do dissolve the cream down to milk?

Thanks
The math is easy: in order to reduce the concentration of fat to 1/10 what it is, you need to increase the total volume to 10 times what it is, which means adding 9 times the volume of cream.

But my immediate reaction was that what you make will not be milk, since what milk contains in addition to fat is not just water, but e.g. sugars and proteins, calcium, and some vitamins, that are removed in making cream. So while this may work for some uses of milk, it wouldn't be appropriate for others. I presume you know that, but it ought to be said in case others read this.

Thanks for your answers.
For the record, I tried to adjust by tasting and it's clear you can't just add water and end up with milk. It never tasted like milk. It was too watery at first and, when I added more cream, it felt really heavy on the stomach.