Math equation from a contest, i think they have wrong answer to.

Beaver105

This is the post for a contest to win a card for an online game. From an online Facebook game group. Whoever got the "correct" answer was put into a random drawing. The admin that posted the pic, at the end "said" what the answer was. There were many different answers. Her explanation of the answer did NOT make sense to the majority or people who entered. When questioned, the admin, did not reply or comment back when another contestant questioned her answer and her "reason/solution " to the problem. So, I'm posting the same picture, and asking your opinion as to the answer & THE REASON FOR ANSWER/HOW YOU COME TO THE ANSWER. THANK YOU

Attachments

• received_325694445400707.jpeg
    received_325694445400707.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
The correct answer is that there is no correct answer.

I would guess that we are expected to think the rule is multiplication by 11, so the answer would be 121; others might blindly think it is 77. But a mere list of numbers does not define a rule. You can't prove that any particular answer is wrong, because nothing was said about what the rule really is.

This sort of thing is done all the time to cheat; no answer is really wrong, and the "right" answer can be whatever the author claims it is. Of course, I've seen things like this where many possible answers all make some sort of sense; this one seems to leave less room for defending a random answer that no one has guessed. But I can see a number of other possibilities that I could argue for if I had reason to.